Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Whats involved in a Mass death clean up effort?

If 200,000 people were suddenly killed in a tsunami and their bodies were washed to sea, with debris of their homes aswell, what would the cleanup be Like? How long would it take? At least to make the water and surrounding area safe.

This is for a novel and I'm having some issues sorting out logistics 

Thanks 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Why don't you look up news reports of recent tsunamis - the one in Japan two years ago, the one mainly affecting Thailand and Indonesia on Christmas Eve ?ten years ago - and READ about them. When you've done that, you'll have a much better idea of what kind of specific questions to ask, rather than hitting us with a splatter gun.

• Banana
      Lv 5
      2 weeks agoReport

The story
      is already mostly written
      , I was just looking to add some details about the cleanup. Again. This is just one leg of my research, not all. 

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Research the tsunami that hit Japan a couple of years ago.  A year after the tsunami hit debris from Japan was still washing up on the shores of BC, Oregon, Washington.  As for the bodies swept out to sea they wouldn't be recovered as they would most likely become fish food or decompose and sink to the bottom of the ocean. Land cleanup would depend on the resources of the country that was affected. 

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Firstly, the death toll  for the deadliest tsunami on record is around 200,000 people - slightly higher, but that figure accounts for all the deaths that occurred in each of the affected countries, of which there were more than a dozen. A tsunami resulting in the deaths of 200,000 people in one single location would have to be incomparably devastating. The damage sustained in a disaster catastrophic enough to bring about a number of deaths like that would have to be indescribable. Few of even the most devastating natural disasters in history have caused that many deaths, and most of those were things that occurred over a span of time, like a flood, not events that occurred over the course of a few minutes. Storms and floods happen over the course of hours or days, not in an instant. You might want to lower the number of fatalities if you want to keep it realistic. 

Secondly, in these modern times, we have early warning systems in place that alert people a tsunami might be on its way. Some people in remote areas may not get the word as quickly as people living in more populous areas, but most people are at least somewhat aware of the warning signs. 

Lastly, if such a cataclysm were to occur, it's likely that a vast number of the bodies would never be recovered. If the damage was that extensive, it would take weeks, possibly months, to recover even a percentage of the dead. It's likely that there would be changes to the very geography of the affected area - the shoreline would likely be different, the elevation of the area might have changed... With all of that factored in - never mind that homes, buildings and other man-made objects would be obliterated, would make it very difficult to recover bodies. 

And the extent and efficacy of the cleanup effort would depend on the ability of the government of the affected area to organise and execute that kind of operation. An effort of that magnitude would require many, many people and the cost would be staggering. With better tools and more technology - as well as with more people and a higher budget, it would be easier, but even a fairly populous, relatively wealthy country would have its hands full in such a situation. 

• Banana
      Lv 5
      2 weeks agoReport

So the story that I'm writing is set in a situation where the early Warning Systems would not be available. It also involved underground bunkers where an entire society live of a million people and about 200,000 of them did not make it out before it was flooded by ocean waters breaking through

• Nunya
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Bodies collected and put into mass graves if never identified. The majority of the bodies that they never found would eventually sink to the ocean floor and become either fish food or just rot away. Clean up of the sea would involve big ships with large metallic corral like nets catching debris and moving it inland. The buildings would be cleaned up as if they were demolished by a demolition crew. Bulldozers and scooping up debris, wood, metal, etc.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • NONAME
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

celan up what? the earth? i dont understand..

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Burying a lot of bodies.

• 3 weeks ago

Get off the damn internet and do real research. Asking some version of this question repeatedly isn't going to help you.

Writers are supposed to research. Yahoo is not it.

• Banana
      Lv 5
      2 weeks agoReport

I will. After 6 years in college I know when I need to ask a question to get research started. Sorry you're going to deprive yourself of the internet's many forms of resources.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.