Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 3 weeks ago

Is Memphis, TN really that bad to relocate to?

Is Memphis REALLY as bad as the internet says about being unsafe to move here. Is it gangs, shoot outs, robbery, killing etc... or just the poverty and unemployment that's bad. What are some nice places to move on the east side of Memphis that's decent and safe. I'm not rich and have decent paying job, single parent with small child. Is there a lot of racial profiling here?

I don't think it's bad as some people make it out to be. I've lived in Nashville before and I heard bad talk about Memphis there, but the people were great. It really depends on which areas you go...it's that way with every city. I'm contemplating on moving to Memphis myself and I figured that I'll be welcomed since I'm a native southerner. I want a real southern city. The rents in Memphis isn't that bad but again, it depends on which area you live and stay to yourself.

• Andrew

Statistically, it's not a great place to live for more than a few reasons. High crime rates - plenty of violent crime, a high rate of unemployment, lower property values than other parts of the state and compared to other cities in the country, the population is also relatively under-educated, even by the standards of the South - so you're bound to find everything that goes along with that - drugs, gangs, poverty, people tend to be a lot less progressive, things of that nature. 

But on the other hand, Memphis does have a few things going for it. It's got some semblance of a cultural identity (which many cities do not, regardless of what region they happen to be situated in), and Memphis is known for its food and music scenes. 

There are certain parts of the city that are not very nice, and I'd go so far as to say that they're best avoided. Memphis gets a fair number of tourists, and tourism is one of the mainstays of the economy. The riverboat casinos draw visitors, and the criminals target the tourists. Generally, the East Side is better than the North or South Sides of the city, and the Central Downtown is probably the nicest part of town, but also the most expensive. 

Let's look at it this way: How many times are you going to ask this question or some variation on it? You keep getting the same answers. Memphis isn't Shangri-La, and it's not going to turn around overnight just because you're thinking about moving there. You're a grown adult. You shouldn't need strangers on the internet to dictate your life plan to you. If you think that accepting the position that you were offered and moving to Memphis would be the best decision for you and your child, then go ahead and do that. You'll have to take the bad with the good. If you use your head and choose your accommodation and your neighbourhood properly and if you make friends with good people and you take the time to get to know the city, the chances that you'll have problems will be a lot smaller. 

If you're hoping that somebody is going to answer one of these questions with: "Oh, don't worry, everything that you've been told so far is incorrect - it's a wonderful place where everything is unicorns and rainbows and it's safe as houses", then that isn't going to happen. Make the decision based on the facts and opinions you've been provided with and your own intuition and common sense and weigh your options. That's really the most sensible advice you're going to get. No parent should need to be told what to do. Analyse all of the data, make a list of the pros and cons, examine all the options you've got on the table and come to a decision. You can continue to ask about this day in and day out from now till Judgment Day, but in the end, it's your choice, not ours.