Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 3 weeks ago

How do people get high from opioid pain relievers?

I took some opioid pain relievers in the past but I never felt high from them even after taking several at a time.

• audrey

I've heard that they crush them and snort them.

It’s the relief from pain that they get that makes them get addicted. Opioids makes the body release endorphins which is a natural high. Ever get made and you kick something too hard. You feel the pain and then your endorphins kick in and you feel this natural high that makes the pain goes away. 

I get kidney stones every couple years.  VERY painful.  So they give me a prescription for Vicodin.  I hate the stuff!  It doesn't relieve the pain, but it makes me feel really weird.  I don't know if you'd call it a 'high', but it's similar, I mean it alters my consciousness, which is what a high is.  But when you say someone is 'high' it connotes a pleasurable experience, like being drunk or stoned on pot. And this experience is not pleasurable.

And that's just the legal recommended dose!

A woman I used to date had 'fake' pain.  She had some condition that hadn't bothered her for years but she'd get 50 Vicodin every month and turn around and sell them to a dealer she knew.  She'd get $2 each for them and the dealer would sell the for $5.  So someone obviously does use them for 'recreation', to get 'high' on purpose.  There's no accounting for some peoples' tastes.