How many driving lessons should you take before your road test?

I just got my permit and I am just now learning how to drive. I am 22 years old. I put off learning how to drive for a while due to anxiety. But I am trying to get over my fear and learn because not being able to drive is a huge burden.

I live in America and most people drive Automatics. I am taking private driving lessons at a driving school. The lessons are 45 minutes long. I just finished my third lesson. We've been driving through empty parking lots, in residential neighborhoods, and on the road. We have been practicing right turns, left turns, etc.

I'm still not very confident behind the wheel and I make a couple of mistakes here and there. However, my instructor tells me I am doing pretty good.

He told me most of his students need 6-8 lessons to be test ready. I don't feel no where near test ready and I feel like I need a lot more than 6-8 lessons.

What do you guys think?

• August

I have to agree with John DD. The UK driving laws are much stricter than yours and you need a lot of lessons. If you can master a 3 point turn,reverse around a bend,hill start without your hand brake, you are nearly there. I took my road test in the 70's and i took approx 45 lessons to pass it. I was also nervous and i was given valium one hour before hand. It is different now with the theory tests today and may i just add that i prefer to drive manual cars 

Drink some "Red Bull" and a cup of regular coffee before you take your next lesson. Nerves will get fried so that does not get in your way.  You are at L3.  Go until you are confident...and drift into a parking space and not spill your coffee in the other hand.  Hey where I live soon it will be snow, so drifting sideways out of control is par for the course.   All of a sudden after a sleep, it just comes to you.  It is like learning how to tie your shoelaces.  It is a bunch of handmoves that you have to think it out.  Soon you stopped thinking about it or looking at what you were doing.

• Edna

There's no specific number of driving lessons you "should" take before you take the road test. But, if you're "still not very confident behind the wheel" and you "make a couple of mistakes here and there", your instructor is correct - you need several more lessons before you ever attempt to take the road test. When you take the road test, you'll probably be asked to do some of the things you're now making "a couple of mistakes" on. 

I learned all of the rules of the road from my dad while riding with him as a child, he wanted me to know them all so I could bicycle safely on the roads.

I learned to control a golf cart on the golf course by age ten.

At age fifteen I passed the written test for the permit, and my mom rode around with me, pointing out scenery, until I was old enough to get a license.

depends on your pace of learning...everybody learns at a different pace...

as many as you need to pass your road test

I never took a driver training lesson. I passed the written and physical driving tests on my first try.

Here is a fun fact one and one that makes for a history lesson.

My father, born in January 1891, did a lot of driving prior to the State of Ohio, where he lived, ever created a law insisting on having a driver's license. When he applied the clerk asked him how long he had been driving. He said 27 years. They said: 'Here is your driver's license." He NEVER took a driving test, either written or a physical driving exam in his entire life.

Is taking driving lessons even required?

But yes, experience is Everything so practice as much as you can. 

When I was learning I had to take a written exam and was issued a "learner's permit". I drove with my father by my side n my older brother would take me out early in the morning when large parking lots were empty and we would practice a lot of things like controlling skids in winter and backing up around obstacles.

After six weeks of experience I was allowed, by law , to take the final exam and passed. Stil it was many months before i felt comfortable in knowing just how far from objects on either side of my car were.

That parallel parking test was the hardest part of the test.

Your post confirms my opinion of US drivers - most are very unskilled and hardly know how to drive safely.

Contrast e.g. Germany: a minimum of 12 hrs is mandatory, including highway/autobahn and driving at night. Still in most cities people need at least 20+ and around 30% fail their first attempt to pass the test.

• Philip H

Having drien in Europe, in Thailand where you drive on the left, as well as in Mexico I must agree American drivers are generally not as skilled as they need to be.

as many as it takes to pass the road test