Need I invest in a heavy-duty turkey pan, or will a cheap aluminum foil pan do?

I am baking a large turkey in the oven. For Thanksgiving.

In the past , I have had issues with the aluminum foil pans catching a hole or puncture in the bottom and all of my essential broth leaking out into the oven.

Can I double 2 of the aluminum foil pans ?

Or need I buy one of the oval pans which had a lid?

Favorite Answer

You could double the aluminum pans if you want. 

But if you cook a lot a roasting pan is a good investment.  It does not have to be a super expensive one you can get one in the $25.00 range (Bed Bath and Beyond along with a coupon) Or better yet a resale store would be a great place to get one. 

Don't need one with a lid, I have never roasted a turkey in a pan and put a lid on it. 

If the pan comes with a rack that is great but you can make a "rack" with a length of aluminum foil that you coil up into a snake shape or lay 5 or so carrots on the bottom of the pan to put the turkey on. 

Thrift stores might have a real one that will  last for years at an affordable price or just buy a new one. It’s a waste of money to buy  throw away pans. Besides you can cook other foods in it whenever. 

Yes you can double up on the pans.Since this is something you seem to use only once a year I would go with the foil.

• art

just use two foil pans - makes the cleanup afterwards easier

Use two and try putting it on a cookie sheet

I would invest in a baking pan if the turkey is something you cook every year.

• IvaB

Every cook worth their salt (ha) should own a roasting pan imo.It has so many uses besides turkey.Prices are pretty cheap too,if you shop around.I definitely think you should consider buying one.

Have you got a baking sheet, the kind with raised edges? Put the foil pan on that. Obviously, a foil pan 'will do', since you and probably millions of other people have used them. It's up to you to decide if you want a real roasting pan or not.

• Dimo

Are you going to be cooking in the future?  You can buy a new 18" roasting pan/lid for $22 (amazon) or you can buy five foil pans that might work.

It took me a couple of decades to learn, but life is a LOT easier when you have the correct tools.

Turkeys are heavy and I strongly recommend you invest in a big roasting pan.