Need I invest in a heavy-duty turkey pan, or will a cheap aluminum foil pan do?

I am baking a large turkey in the oven. For Thanksgiving.

In the past , I have had issues with the aluminum foil pans catching a hole or puncture in the bottom and all of my essential broth leaking out into the oven.

Can I double 2 of the aluminum foil pans ?

Or need I buy one of the oval pans which had a lid?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

You could double the aluminum pans if you want. 

But if you cook a lot a roasting pan is a good investment.  It does not have to be a super expensive one you can get one in the $25.00 range (Bed Bath and Beyond along with a coupon) Or better yet a resale store would be a great place to get one. 

Don't need one with a lid, I have never roasted a turkey in a pan and put a lid on it. 

If the pan comes with a rack that is great but you can make a "rack" with a length of aluminum foil that you coil up into a snake shape or lay 5 or so carrots on the bottom of the pan to put the turkey on. 

• 4 weeks ago

Thrift stores might have a real one that will  last for years at an affordable price or just buy a new one. It’s a waste of money to buy  throw away pans. Besides you can cook other foods in it whenever. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes you can double up on the pans.Since this is something you seem to use only once a year I would go with the foil.

• art
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

just use two foil pans - makes the cleanup afterwards easier

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Use two and try putting it on a cookie sheet

• 4 weeks ago

I would invest in a baking pan if the turkey is something you cook every year.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Every cook worth their salt (ha) should own a roasting pan imo.It has so many uses besides turkey.Prices are pretty cheap too,if you shop around.I definitely think you should consider buying one.

• 4 weeks ago

Have you got a baking sheet, the kind with raised edges? Put the foil pan on that. Obviously, a foil pan 'will do', since you and probably millions of other people have used them. It's up to you to decide if you want a real roasting pan or not.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Are you going to be cooking in the future?  You can buy a new 18" roasting pan/lid for $22 (amazon) or you can buy five foil pans that might work.

It took me a couple of decades to learn, but life is a LOT easier when you have the correct tools.

• 4 weeks ago

Turkeys are heavy and I strongly recommend you invest in a big roasting pan.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.