Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 3 weeks ago

Is fentanyl soluble or insoluble in water? why or why not?

Can someone please explain to me if fentanyl is soluble or insoluble in water. Some sources says it is and some say it's not. I think it is soluble because it has 2 central nitrogen atoms that or polar or because the oxygen atom is capable of making hydrogen bonding with water. I am not sure if I'm right. Also, please explain it in simple terms since this is my first time taking chem.

• Mike A

Yes the molecule has polar groups but it is also large and mostly consists of its  nonpolar carbon framework. You cannot simply assume that a couple of polar groups will make it water soluble. In fact it is at best sparingly soluble. See here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-07...

But because of the basic amino groups it is easily converted to one of several water soluble salts such as the citrate for formulation purposes.

Its an opioid, definitely is soluble in water, this is due to the polarity

I agree with you.