Underage marrying?

I just randomly watched to catch a predator and one of them were saying "we should get married so it be legal" to what he thought was a 14yo girl. Purely outta curiosity what the hell?? Is it actually legal for a pervert to marry a child?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Most states allow marriage at 16 but until a person is 21 there are still restrictions like they have to have parental consent. I think the youngest is NH where you can marry at 13 unless the law has been changed. 

• 2 weeks ago

Depends on the state but for some states, especially in the south where crazy where crazy Evangelicals are in charge, it would be legal for a 14 year old girl to marry. That happens fairly frequently.

• For2 weeks agoReport

So moslems who marry at 6 and penetrate at 9 are not crazy, but evangelicals are, amirite?

• 2 weeks ago

Age to marry depends on where you are.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

In the US the age at which someone can get married is typically 18 except for in Nebraska where it is 19 and in Mississippi where the age is 21, But all US states (except for Delaware and New Jersey) have exceptions/loopholes that allow minors to marry in case of parental consent, judicial consent, and/or pregnancy. Of those, 37 states have a minimum age ranging from 14-17. In 13 states, there is no minimum age. In the District of Columbia, the general age is 18 however minors aged 16 can marry with parental consent.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

There are some states that allow underage marriage, but it requires parental consent. I"m not aware of any that would permit it at 14, the youngest I've seen is 16. As far as his comments, that is called "grooming". He is telling her what she wants to hear. 

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

That depends on the state. Different states have different minimum ages for marriage.

Marriage is a state issue not a Federal one.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It depends on the country and whether its minimum age for marriage matches up with the age of consent.  In the UK it does (it's 16 for both), so this would be impossible.

In the USA, however, some states have a very low minimum or none at all, So It could be done, though that still doesn't make it legal to have sex below the age of consent.  And you've been watching an American programme.

Which raises another point.  If a married couple haven't had sex, the marriage is voidable and can be annulled.  That's not a divorce, it's declared null as if it had never been.

Which is why, traditionally, the honeymoon is such a big thing - the marriage isn't complete until they've "done it"!  My former church's organist never liked playing "Here comes the bride" for weddings because in the opera "Lohengrin", it's a chorus sung for the procession in to the marriage bed, to make sure the couple DO get in bed together, so it never seemed appropriate to him to use it in church!  (Yes, it does have words, and I've sung them in a choral concert.)

So yes, it could be done, but it still wouldn't make sex legal unless there is an exception in the law for married couples.

• 2 weeks ago

Oddly, yes.  In some states the age at which one can be married can be "underage."

I live in California.  The "age of consent" here is 18, but marriage can happen at a lower age.  (I think the legislature and governor should fix that.)

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

In a lot of countries the age for marriage is younger than the age of consent. However that pedo is wrong, getting married wouldn’t make having sex with someone underage legal. You could get married but not have sex until she is of age 

• Satan
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

In America it is - it's nice to point the finger at shithole countries, but America does have a massive amount of 'legal' pedos

• Clive
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Only when it was legal, liam.  Which it hasn't been for a long time now.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.