What does 'unfortunately' mean here?

I asked my friend about if they wanted to meet up one time in the next few weeks.

They got back and said 'Yeah that sounds great! - unfortunately I am quite busy until the end of the month - would that work for you?'

What does 'unfortunately' mean here? Is this something you would say to someone you care about/a friend?

They're saying they don't like not being able to meet with you sooner. What is wrong with that?

Yeah, I think so. They would rather meet sooner but busy

It means he wishes he could meet with you, but the time you asked about doesn't work, and he offers another time that would work for him because he wants to see you.

• Cogito

It means that he's sorry, but he is busy.  He regrets not having any free time to meet up.

Yes - it's exactly what people would say to a friend and/or someone they care about.

• Ivan

They asked what would work for you so you are overreacting.

Unfortunately means sadly or regretfully.