M asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 8 months ago

What's the difference between a manipulator and an influencer?

The difference is intent and who is doing it.

A manipulator is a person who intentionally makes another person do something that they might not have otherwise done. By trickery, psychology, arm twisting, lies, or bribery, I might manipulate you into doing something. I would be a manipulator.

An influencer (spell-check doesn't think that is a word) with specialized knowledge, moral authority, or insight on a particular topic.  By gaining the trust of their followers, they are able to promote their ideas and opinions. Stephen Colbert is a smart and funny guy. He presents his political views in such a way that his audience sees things the same way.

manipulator is pejorative

'an influencer' is merely descriptive

• RP

Manipulation involves trickery whereas influencing involves persuasion or convincing.

This is what an influencer says to someone he likes. If you want to own me, you can own me, no matter what, and you must own me, no matter what, and if you are the owner of me, you must tell me that you are the owner of me, no matter what, no matter what, and if you tell me that you are the owner of me, no matter what, you must always be the owner of me, no matter what, and I need to own you, no matter what, and if I am the owner of you, I need to tell you that I am the owner of you, no matter what, no matter what, and you must tell me that I can own you, no matter what, no matter what, and if I tell you that I am the owner of you, no matter what, I need to always be the owner of you, no matter what. You must not touch these or this person's or persons' body parts or part, which is or are a crotch or crotches or buttocks or a buttock or mouths or a mouth, with your body parts or part, no matter what, or you must not be less than four inches away from these or this person's or persons' body parts or part, which is or are a crotch or crotches or buttocks or a buttock or mouths or a mouth, with your body parts or part, no matter what, or you must not be less than four inches away from these or this person's or persons' body parts or part with your body parts or part, which is or are a crotch or a buttock or a mouth, no matter what, or you must not touch these or this person's or persons' body parts or part with your body parts or part, which is or are a mouth or a buttock or a crotch, no matter what.

An 'influencer' (in the very modern sense) is a word that was (re)invented during the last 5 years, so that media writers could provide more click-bait for the people who are willing to go there and click. It's not certain that this word will still be around with that very modern meaning even 5 years from now...  

pay grade...an influencer will help you with yours a manipulater will help themself

• jehen

A manipulator is uses deceit, either methods or deceit or hides their true goal. An influencer works by example. Now if the influencer is not self-identified as such, then it is manipulation.

A manipulator is often a criminal, like Charles Manson, an influencer is mostly positive, like Greta Thunberg

• Tommymc

So a girlfriend who is a manipulator is a criminal? If an influencer  is mostly positive, what does it mean when somebody is a bad influence?

• Fuhr

About seven figures.

• M8 months agoReport

That's cold