Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Can HR disclose info on salary to other employees?

I’m getting a bonus for referring a friend to the company. This friend wants half of this bonus which I don’t feel I should as I did her a favour by getting her a full time job and she now earns more money than myself. However she keeps pestering me about this money and whether I have received it yet. I feel like just telling her I never got it as it’s the easier option but my question is if she asked HR or one of our managers whether I got the money can they legally tell her? As it goes on to my wage?

Tell her that you would like 1/2 of her salary for the first year since you initiated the contact!  None of the money is hers so just tell her that and ask why she thinks it should be

• xyzzy

There is no law that prevents the HR department or management from disclosing if you received the bonus or not. There usually are company policies that forbid the discussion of pay issues,

• y

They are not suppose to release that info to others, most have some sort of policy that one shouldn't discus pay with others.

On the other hand, sounds like you agreed at some point to split that bonus and now do not want to.

• y

Hr shouldn't say a thing, But you should be honest, it's mine, I'm keeping it,

To answer the question asked, yes, your employer can disclose your salary and in this case the bonus payment to anyone they want. How much you earn and any bonuses you may receive are not protected information.

That being said, it is not very likely they will discuss the payment with your friend and as others mentioned it could lead to her job going away.

No, they won't tell her. You owe her nothing.

• Tavy

It's none of her business or money, it's Your bonus, and management will not be happy with her asking personal questions.

• mason3 weeks agoReport

I think if she wasn’t a family friend I would feel more comfortable saying no to her.. but her family are really close with mine which I think makes it more awkward to say no

• Greg

Whether there is a law against it would depend upon where you are but I don't there are any such laws most places. The money is yours. Tell your friend, NO.

• mason3 weeks agoReport

I work for an insurance company, she’s a family friend so feels comfortable enough to ask for it but I feel saying flat out no would cause problems am I wrong for not wanting to share it? 

They can, but they won't.  

That story about never receiving the bonus isn't likely to be believed btw....

• Michael

If they do, you could complain, but it's unlikely that would result in anything more than an apology.  In all likelihood you won't have to worry about it though.  Your company doesn't want any part in this squabble.  

They can, but they won't. You'd be wise to just flat out refuse to consider giving her half the bonus. It's YOUR bonus, not hers.

• Lili

No, they should not be able to disclose that information. Most companies have policies against it, because they have reason for not wanting everyone to know how much other employees are making.

And she certainly doesn't deserve half of it. She has no legal, moral, or ethical claim.