handicapped parking placards -can you park in meters parking and if yes for how long ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Having a handicapped placard does not excuse you from paying the designated fee for the metered parking space.  If it's a two-hour space, then you put in enough money for the two hours, etc.  You pay the same as any other person who parks in a metered space. 

• Edna
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Sure, you "can", but you're still going to have to pay to park in a metered parking spot, and for only a designated  number of hours. 

A handicapped parking placard allows you to park free in specific parking spots that are marked "Handicapped Parking". There's usually no time length on how long you can park in a "Handicapped"  spot.

• 3 weeks ago

In Wisconsin you have no time limit in a metered parking spot. It's free parking with no limit.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The rules vary according to which state you are driving (or parking) in.  In the areas where I live and do most of my driving, (Idaho and Washington), you don't have to feed the meters in city owned parking lots or for metered on-street parking.  You STILL have to pay in privately owned parking lots. Washington limits parking to four hours. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

The placard comes with a registration that should be carried in the car or on your person when using the placard,

All of the rules are printed right on The registration.

• 3 weeks ago

In California, you can park in metered spots for free, (with placard displayed of course) and I don't think there's a time limit. I'm not sure about other states' rules on this. Also, if you park where there's a time limit, say 1 hour or whatever, there's no time limit for handicapped. Placards are good in any state if still valid.

Source(s): Card holder
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You still have to put money in the meter. The placard is only good for clearly marked handicapped spots.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Unless local laws or signs on the meters say otherwise, a handicapped placard only permits a vehicle to park in handicapped parking spaces.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.