Jarvis asked in PetsOther - Pets · 3 weeks ago

Why is it not okay to obtain animals as pets on impulse and/or treat them as a decoration?

The question applies to captive- bred/domesticated animals (other than dogs and cats), not wild ones

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I'm sure there's a reason you keep asking this same question.

If you can't figure out your own life, your fixation on "animals as decorations," no one here can help you.

• 3 weeks ago

Wym? I thought it was perfectly okay. I treat my cat like it's a couch. If you want it to be a decoration, let them be pinatas.

• 3 weeks ago

Because those who do not do research on proper care are setting themselves and their animals up for disaster. Would you stick your dog in a small empty room? No! Would you trust the pet store telling you that you can? of course not. It should be no different for any other animal. All creatures have individual needs. If you ignore these needs you should expect an unhappy and sick animal.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Get sheep. Be serious and get about 30 female sheep and two large rams. The ewes will be soft and fluffy, almost decorative. You (or your heirs) will quickly discover what happens when you think of the rams as decorations.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

One, it is irresponsible. 99.9% of the time, people obtain 'impulse pets' on a whim, for a gift, or even drunk. They discover they are not the sort of pet for their lifestyle, housing requirements, cost, care, and maintenance. Or simply not the pet they expect. This results in a bad keeper and for human irresponsibility, an innocent animal has to pay the price, sometimes with suffering or the ultimate price.

Keeping animals is a responsible commitment for the life of the animal, and if not knowing their needs and requirements, should be willing to quickly learn, best before getting a particular animal.

About wild animals, once they have adapted wild, they are wild, and always will be. they belong in the wild and left alone to themselves.

Many 'unusual' animals (Exotics) often thought of as wild can make wonderful pets if hand raised from babies and human socialized/tamed, such as skunks, possum, porcupine, Fox, and leopard. Monkeys and primates, DO NOT EVER MAKE GOOD PETS. Don't even think of getting a pet bat.

Know what you are getting into with any animal.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Because they are not decorations. They are living beings with feelings, and impulsively buying one usually means that they will be neglected. most pet shops do not sell suitable cages, or bedding, or wheels (etc) and if you impulsively buy one you will be using that inappropriate stuff.

They will love an unhappy life, and their basic needs will not be met. You could be criminally charged for animal neglect.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Because it would make you a stupid person.

You appear to have a lot of issues with "animals."  I would suggest that people who classify birds as "animals" not breed birds.

• I've had chickens and although they can be ferocious, they really can make good pets,

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.