Who has priority when both cars turn left?

Imagine if car 2 and car 1 both want to turn left.Obviuosly car 3 will go first as it drives on main road.

My question is, who will go first car 2 or car 1 if both of them want to turn left? Will car 2 turn left last because it has stop sign thus less priority? This has been bugging me for days.Im having my driving exam soon so any help will be appreciated.

Attachment image

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

In North America, when two vehicles arrive at an uncontrolled intersection at the same time, the vehicle on the right has right of way.  In your diagram, that would be vehicle #1.

Vehicle 2 has a stop sign, so it has to remain fully stopped until the other vehicles have cleared the intersection.  Vehicle 2 doesn't have a stop sign, but neither does vehicle 1.  Vehicle 1 is to the right of vehicle 3, so he/she gets to go firs.

That's the textbook rule.  In reality, I would wait for the other guy to make his turn and clear the intersection before proceeding.  Not crashing at all is much easier than figuring out whose fault the crash was.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Whoever is on the right of who..just go by whatever happens in that regard and don't worry about it. not every situation is the same so car 2 can first if 1 and 3 give them the right of way but maybe 3 is first..all depends so just stay cool and go with the flow on this one, not a big deal

• 3 weeks ago

Both of the cars in question can turn left at the same time provided they avoid crossing paths. Often this is the one time that cars will be on the "wrong side" of each other. Check your drivers hand book for how cars are to make left hand turns and you will see what I mean.

• F
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

They are all at fault. Everyone is on the wrong side of the road!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Car #2 has a stop sign, which means HE must wait until all others have cleared the intersection. Car #1 has a YIELD sign (upside down triangle) while car #3 is clear to go, so the order would be 3, 1, 2. 

• JetDoc
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The yellow diamond means NOTHING!  It is an advisory or warning sign.  DOES NOT indicate a "main road". 

• 3 weeks ago

You have this figured out correctly except for one fine point, being on the "main road" has nothing to do with anything, you couldn't guess that from the picture anyway. The only reason the cars go 3,1,2 instead of 1,3,2 is due to the signage.

I witnessed a crash in a parking lot where one driver falsely believed he was on the main isle instead of yielding to the other car which came from his right. It was the parking lot at work, so I was able to learn who paid out.

• 3 weeks ago

If one vehicle is facing another vehicle at a four way intersection, Both vehicles can turn left at the same time as long as both stay to the left of the other vehicle. Secondarily, the vehicle getting to the intersection first has the right of way.

• lj1
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Car 1 has a yield sign, so it has to yield to traffic on the main road (in this case, car 3). Once traffic is clear on the main road, it can make its turn. Car 2 has a stop sign, so it goes last.

• 3 weeks ago

Car 1 because there’s a stop sign right next to car 2.

• Jay
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

1 only has a yield so obviously it goes first. and driving exams are NOTHING like this.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.