Is there a rule of thumb as to when to replace a dryer, washing machine or a major appliance.?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Not really. When it breaks and the cost of the repair doesn't justify repairing an aging appliance is when most people would do it. I have a 6 year old fridge that would cost me about $700 to replace with a new one. At this point, halfway or more through its expected lifespan, it wouldn't be worth spending more than $350 to fix it. I'll probably buy a new one sometime after 10 years, even if the old one still works, checking for a sale price. The inconvenience of having a non-working fridge is worth buying one ahead of a breakdown. Fridges are a little different from many appliances. They're always on in any household. A washing machine, though, might wear out in 5 years if it's doing the laundry of 8 people but last 20 years if only one person uses it.  And if you don't have a washing machine for a few days while you arrange to get a new one, it's not such a big deal as a fridge breaking down, maybe when it's 80F in July.

• 3 weeks ago

When the dryer starts to cut up your clothes and get grease all over them, it's time to replace it. When the washing machine doesn't drain, but floods your washroom, it's time to replace it.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes. When it stops working and is beyond economical repair.

• 3 weeks ago

When they quit working, or when cost of repairs is more than a new one. Or when you can comfortably afford to upgrade.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes.  The rule of thumb is you should replace an appliance when it breaks and it costs too much to fix or you know its too old to fix and has very little useful life left.

You can't know beforehand, each appliance will last a different amount of time due to its care and quality when new.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.