Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Why are they still paying me 3 months after I quit my job???

I quit my job a few months ago but they are still paying me.. I got a paycheck on the 14th of this month and then today (the 20th).. it's been months since I worked there and i suddenly got 2 paychecks this month.. if it wasn't intentional, could I go to jail if it was a mistake? It was direct deposit..

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

No you can't go to jail because this is a civil issue, not criminal. They do, however, have legal standing to demand the money back and sue you if to get it if necessary.

• 3 weeks ago

I certainly hope you've contacted your former employer, and have resisted the temptation to spend it. You will be expected to return it.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You must tell them at once and give the money back, otherwise you will be charged with theft , you cannot keep the money, it is not yours!

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Notify the company and do not spend the money. They have a glitch in their computer system and they will probably want the money back. The longer it goes on the more you would owe back and it could make for a bad job rating for your next employment.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Uh, yeah.....you can't keep money that isn't yours, no matter how it gets to you. That's called "stealing". You need to call and inform them of their mistake, and pay them back.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It's a mistake I think and they will want their money back when they figure it out.  And yes, you can get in trouble if you spend it.

Call them and tell them.  If you were shorted, you would definitely be calling them, this is no different.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.