Sharon asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 months ago

How do you overcome anxiety/triggers towards the opposite gender? Especially when it is not constant?

I identify myself as a heterosexual female however, I have some anxiety towards men. I have had some bad experiences with guys that led to my anxiety. However, I thought my anxiety was getting better as I started hanging out with guys in my friend group (still would never go out one on one with a guy). Then recently, I started getting triggered again and I stopped hanging out with all the guys I hung out with or even making eye contact. So now some of them think I just don't like them anymore. I want to fix this because I am sick of these triggers, but I don't know how to. 

Are you seeing a therapist? This sounds like PTSD. Dialectical behavior therapy is supposed to be good for that.

Every chance you get to socialize with people will assist in the building or lowering of your confidence, dependent on the situations and your feelings that follow.