when 2 tall people have off-spring is the off-spring usually taller than their parents?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

No, not usually.  There is a statistical phenomenon called regression toward the mean.  Children of short parents are generally taller than their parents, and children of tall parents generally are shorter than their parents.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Most heritable traits tend toward a population's average but all of them are influenced by the local environment, so it's difficult to make any generalizations.

There probably is a statistical answer here but it will mean nothing to individuals.

• 3 weeks ago

There is a statistical distribution that tends to go both above the heights of both and below the heights of both.  A big issue is environment (nurture), since growth is strongly related to nutrition, which is the main reason that heights of people have increased so much over the past couple hundred years (we have access to a broad diet with plenty of nutrients and calories).

Height is not a single gene issue, so it is not a simple thing to define how genetics controls height, and how the various different contributing genetic factors will affect the potential height of an individual.

It is a complicated thing, so no simple answer.  But as a general thing, tall+tall means tall kids.  Some taller than both parents, some not taller but not a lot shorter either.  On average, similar height to parents.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I'm taller than my dad, my brother isn't, sister is shorter than our mom. Some modern growth patterns are diet and nutrition. Growth hormones given to cows has an effect on milk and beef consumers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

All you get from your parents dna is potential, not “guaranteed minimum”. 

• 3 weeks ago

Accordging to boilogy, most probably yes.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And "offspring" has no hyphen.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If the parents are tall the children will most likely be as well.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.