How long do I need to wait to throw away a birthday present made of paper?

I am in high school and I live with my parents. Every year on my birthday,  they do this really kind thing where they tape these paper hearts with kind words written on then on my bedroom door while I’m sleeping. But, they are made of paper, and obviously not meant to last a super long time. What is the appropriate amount of time to wait before I can take the hearts off my door without offending my mom?

• Jane

As others have suggested, why not keep a scrapbook of these messages? You might find them interesting or useful in the future, as part of a journal of your memories. If you keep the journal private, you could record your own personal thoughts too.

Between 1 to 5 minutes.

Just throw it away after you got it, we only live once

Frisky is right, it is really a loving thing to do. Keep them for a few days.

sounds like ur mum has done this every year so don't take that away from her..........just leave it for a couple of days, then take them down*  

i wouldve thrown it away after everybody left

• Papa-G

Start a file, you'd be surprised how these things will help in the future. Believe me! They're worth more than you think.

i would leave them on forever if my parents did that

A week is long enough to take them off your door and if they are on there longer than a month, it becomes tacky.  But you don't have to toss them completely and in face may be in your best interest to box them up for memories in the future.

Ask her to shop with you for a scrapbook to keep the mementos. She’ll be flattered and you’ll have a way to store them.