Daughter wants to move to live with father - legalities?

My daughter who currently lives with me and my family i the UK. She goes to boarding school. She and her father both want her to move to South America - and go to school there, as she does not like being at home neither her school. I do not want this to happen - is there legal way I can stop this.


She is 14 with south american passport

12 Answers

    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    You must see a lawyer, and it will depend on her age, if she is 18 or over she can live with who ever she likes.

  • 9 months ago

    I good start would be the age of your daughter. Sounds like she will have

    a better life with her father. Sending her to boarding school does not say much

    like a good mother.

  • 9 months ago

    Depends on her country of citizenship, which you forgot to mention and the country in South America, which you also forgot to mention.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    Well she doesnt have a home life with you does she? For most of the year she lives in a boarding school, you omit her age or custody arrangements, so no one can give you a legal answer.


  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    Depends on the custody arrangement you all live under. If it appears her father is making moves to put this into practice get a solicitor.

  • 9 months ago

    If your daughter is over 18.you have no say in the matter. She's an adult free to go wherever she wants.

    If your daughter is a minor child, what does the court order of custody, visitation & child support say? Have you been facilitating any visitation required in the court order? Or do you have a court order of permanent sole custody (the father has no rights to his child, no obligation to support)? ONLY if you have permanent sole custody under a court order can you prevent your minor child from visiting or living with her father.

    Hire an attorney to sort this out. What's in the best interest of the child (not your preferences or anything else) determines court decisions. WHY shouldn't your daughter live with her father for a while when she's unhappy living with you & unhappy living at boarding school? If your daughter is old enough to live at boarding school, she's old enough to testify in court as to her choice & reasons. Since she doesn't actually live with you most of the time (being away at boarding school), you do not appear to have a very strong case for keeping her from her father if that's what she wants. You need to ask your attorney what's happening with the courts in your jurisdiction to better assess this.

  • 9 months ago

    If she's at boarding school, she isn't living with you for most of the year.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    Too little information!

    Is she British?

    If she is in boarding school, she is boarding at school and not living with you now apart from hoildays......have you jointly agreed custody of this child or is there a court ordered phyical custody and visitation arrangements?

    What age is she?

    The legal way if she is a child is to make sure you have hold of her passport/s, she can go nowhere without that and/or get a court ordered Child Arrangement Order which  stops her  being taken or leaving the country

  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    Why don't you want her to live with him even when she wants to?

  • 9 months ago

    I am going to assume that your daughter is a minor and her residency is controlled by court order. If she is not a minor, she can move anywhere she wants to go and there is nothing you can do about it.

    If the father is seeking a modification to the court order, you can bet the father will be hiring a lawyer. Particularly since there are international issues. If you want to "stop this", you will also need a lawyer. Make sure they are a good one.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.