.
. asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 3 weeks ago

Why is a child of a 2nd marriages are given the same name as a child of a 1st marriage, if the child of the 1st marriage is still alive?

Why do people do this, I have come across this 3 times with half siblings having same first, middle & last name?

• blank

No originality is my guess.

Dude you are giving me a headache. 

I've seen this in obituaries and I doubt there were even marriages involved in some cases. The kids are named after the father because of HIS ego. So if his name is John, his kids are named: John II; John, Jr.; Johniece; Johnetta; JohnMichael, etc. Sort of like George Foreman did with his kids all being named after himself.

• Idk, I mean you could always ask your half siblings or something

Don't know, don't care

I've never heard of it, but apparently the parents really really like the name.

The closest thing I know of is two great uncles (full brothers) who have the same first name.

I have 2 cousins, same father, same names.  I have no idea why, and I've never asked.

• .

I guess it's a common thing.... My grandfather was upset about it, and thought his grandson was being replaced until my cousin came up with the nickname King Junior.

Wow that is weird and can you change that?

• .

Nope... Not my name, not my problem. but I liked the way my cousin handled the situation, he has the same name as his father and half brother, he calls himself King Junior because he's the oldest.

• Never, ever seen this.  You must run in weird circles.

• .

It all happened by chance, I'm sure it messed up school records and at work it became a topic of conversation when 1 of my employees had a half brother with the same name. 

• nanu

ask...................................