Betta Girl asked in PetsFish · 2 weeks ago

Why did my peppered cities die?

I had 2 peppered cities (I was about to get another 4) and they died today. All the other fish were fine and the water was very clean, I changed 1/3 of the water 3 days ago. When I saw them dead, they were lying on the bottom on their sides and I took them out of the tank and their fins felt almost spiky.. and their bodies were very hard. How do you think they died??

Peppered cories/Corydora catfish

My tank is 23 Gallons and I had the cories for about 4 months.

Levels are: pH 6.9

Nitrate: 5ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

I have 6 guppies (all females) and 1 male betta fish (very friendly and not aggressive at all). I also have 8 neon tetras. All of which are extremely healthy and striving.

I acclimated them for about 30-40 minutes (I always think the longer the better).

The temp is 75 degrees and very stable and the filter is low, so that the fish don’t get thrown around in the water.

You are going to have to tell us more.

Tank size, how long has it been running and cycled? what are the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Ph? what other fish are in the tank?  How long did you have the 2 cories? Did you acclimate them to the water before adding them?  is the temperature stable?  Peppered cories thrive at a lower temp then the average tropical.  72-75 would be ideal, and they might struggle to live at the 78 degrees that most average tropical fish thrive in.

Take this question to Fishlores aquarium forums so you can respond to questons.