Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Will a temporary restraining order appear in someone's records?

if i file a temporary restraining order against a former boyfriend. will his record show that he has a criminal charge

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes yes, look out it’s a record look out

• 3 weeks ago

Most everything these days is either CD or iTunes.  I wouldn't worry about records any more.

• 3 weeks ago

The court record will exist.  Whether someone will find it depends on the nature of the search.  If he is seeking a job sweeping out the pool hall, they probably will not see that court record.   If he is applying for a job commanding a nuclear submarine, it will indeed come up.  Not as a criminal charge, but for exactly what it is.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It would not show up on a search of his criminal record because having a restraining order is not a crime. Violating a restraining order is a crime, but having one is not. 

However, there is a record of anything that happens in a courtroom. It wouldn't be hard to find. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

A Temporary Restraining Order is not a criminal charge it is an injunction. There would be a criminal charge related to a TRO only if someone violated the terms of the order. There will of course be a record that a TRO was granted but would not show up on a typical background check which typically only look for outstanding warrants and convictions.

• 4 weeks ago

The restraining order will not show up as a criminal charge, but if he were to ever break the restraining order and arrested, that certainly would.

• 4 weeks ago

it might show up on their records

• 4 weeks ago

A restraining order is not a criminal charge. What a background check will reveal depends on who is doing the check and how deep they go.

• Ding Dong
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Even on the most enhanced criminal check a restraining order does not show, they are not democratic, the first one to complain about the other person gets the order. It's a lazy way to solve a problem and never shows anywhere except police internal records.

• 4 weeks ago

No, that's just saying they shouldn't go near you or in the street they know you live on without a good reason, you can get them without proving they did anything so it's not a conviction. I got one against me deleted because I proved it was my ex girlfriend's mother persuaded her to get it against her will, as soon as it was deleted she came running back. It's pathetic!

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

it might show up on his record

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

It will show up on his CIVIL court record, unless he successfully petitions to have it dismissed and expunged.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.