Can I make a top for a frozen pie crust?

I'm going to buy a frozen pie crust. Do they come with tops? Can I make a top? Is there anything I need to keep in mind, since the top I make will be different than the frozen one?

• br549

Buy two. Fill one, use other as a top if you wish. You'll need to allow it to thaw first. 

• Onlooker

Duh! I never did this before (obviously)!

• denise

If you buy 2 ready pastry circles [frozen] you can use one each for the top and base.

Or if you like use the one pie crust, then when you've filled the pie, make a crumble topping with flour, butter [ with a little seasoning for a savory one, or sugar & cinnamon/nutmeg added for a sweet one ].

• Mr. P

Much simpler than that. Just make your stew or pie filling as normal in a pan on the stove top, and buy puff pastry block.

Cut block into 4, roll out with flour to 3/8", put 4 on a baking sheet, brush with milk and bake them plain like that.

You end up with a very good square crust that you just place on top when you serve. Nobody is bothered what it looks like in the pie dish - just on the plate.

I make them in batches and freeze them. Just cook as many as you need. Use a bit more flour between them when you stack them up if you are freezing them.

no, no tops. You can make a top or buy a pie crust in the dairy section and roll it out after you thaw it then put it on the top of the frozen crust after filling it.

you buy 2 frozen pie shells, use one as the top.

Buy two and remove the second one from the plate. Slice it with a pizza cutter into strips and weave a lattice.

Yes you can, but if you are going to make a pastry for the top, you probably would have made the pastry for the bottom too.

Yes, you could buy a second crust for the top, but why?

I would turn it into a pie/crunch or pie/crisp combo by sprinkling a topping of oatmeal, brown sugar, butter.    It's a real thing.    Google "apple pie crunch" and you'll see recipes.   The topping is the BEST part.   Way better than the crust if you ask me.  :-)

i dont see why not

• Mark

A lot of times, frozen crusts come with TWO crusts, so use one to line the pan and the other to top the pie.

No. Buy 2 frozen pie crusts. Use one for the bottom and one for the top. It's easy.