How can I break my lease without paying a penalty?

I have an ant problem in my apartment and pest control was assigned to come. They can some days but for like weeks in a row they forgot. Can I use this as grounds? Also, Can I claim I have anxiety? I read if I have a mental illness and have to move back home for care then I just have to get 30 days and break the lease without penalty. I need legit answers. Please give me ideas and do not be mean.

Yes, you could give notice if this was written on your lease, but if not then you are probably stuck.

No; neither is grounds to break the lease without penalty

Write to your landlord/management agency with regards to the issues with pest control

It all comes down to the black and white contract for the pest control. Break that sucker out and read over every line and document everything. As far as mental anxiety you should consult with a real estate attorney for that one. My reaction is you will have to have documented medical proof that outlines a prescribed need for you to move. Even then you still may need to pay some damages for breaking the lease.

In both cases or any case where a tenant is looking to break a lease. Clear written documented proof of a lease terms violation by the landlord would be needed.

You can't, as you have no legitimate complaint

Your alleged medical condition is NOT part of the contract so forget using that as an excuse.  Further, anxiety is not the type of medical condition that requires the kind of care that would need  you to move out and break your lease.  You let weeks go by while doing NOTHING.  Are you perfect?  Why the heck didn't you "REMIND" them?  Pay the penalty and suck it up.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy

No, the ants aren't going to let you break your lease without penalty.  Pretending to have anxiety, or even really having it, isn't going to do it either.

No is the short answer.

The answer to this is always you have to ask if they will let you break it, otherwise they can hold you to it since you signed. Ask though, a landlord let me leave early and not pay, in return he retained the deposit. You can only ask though and they can say no.

So you really  think you can break your lease because of anxiety without any financial penalty ? Good luck with that.

i would talk to a lawyer about it