175w infrared lightbulb instead of 150w?

Hi. By mistake I bought a 175w infrared bulb, instead of a 150w one, as mentionned by the manufacturer of a light appliances. Is it safe to use the 175w infrared light bulb? Will it damage the electric net in the appartment or not? I live in Spain, so it is a European electric system with 230v. Thank you

Well, you should check for the maximum Watt capacity. But, in theory/reality you should be totally fine.

• Mangal

Excess wattage = 25

% of excess wattage = (25/150) 100 ≈ 17 %

I cannot comment on the effect of 17% excess IR radiation. As far as the electric net is concerned, I don't think this will cause any kind of problem (electrical wires will have to carry about 9% of excess current because of your mistake - no problem!)

• oubaas

Of couse not, as we are talking about of less than 1 amp : the only risk of damage is an overtemperature on the lamp-holder

Check the fixture for a maximum watt rating.

• Mr. P

Yes you should be fine as it will draw less than 1 Amp, and your lighting system should be able to support 5Amps on each circuit. If it is plugged into a wall socket with a lamp fitting it would also be ok.

What you have to be aware of is the total load on the circuit - so add up all the loads and calculate the maximum load.

This calculator will help.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-vol...

Also be aware that the fitting you use must also be able to handle the load and heat rating of the lamp used.

If it is metal and ceramic it should be ok, but would be safer with a heat resistant  cable if it is likely to get hot.

Check if it is getting too warm during the first few times use.

Also the item you are heating will obviously get hotter. Not so good if it is in a small reptile enclosure.

to be clear, the lamp itself specifies a max of 150 watts?

I won't damage your wiring, at the most it will overheat and damage the socket in the lamp. 

• Dze

it may damage the fixture .. if there is a label on it see if it has 'max watts' ..