Do Physician assistants study medicine?

Im having a friendly debate with someone about whether they are or are not studying medicine. They are in a PA graduate program but I personally do not consider it medicine. Could I be wrong?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, physician assistants do study medicine, otherwise they wouldn't be considered qualified to work in the medical industry. They are skilled professionals who perform many duties such as recording patient's medical history, conducting exams and x-rays, writing prescriptions, etc... These are all applications of the study of medicine.

In the end, I'm sure your friend who is actually studying a PA graduate program would have a good idea of what they are studying, which in this case is medicine.

• 3 weeks ago

A PA goes through so much education (as do ARNPs) that I always wonder why they don't just go for MD instead. 

• 3 weeks ago

Basically, A physician Assistant, started in th Military, in areas where there were not a lot of doctors or any at all. SO what they did, was have a RN, who was working in combat, work along side a doctor, and be taught to do more things. Simple things to start. when there were too many medical mash units, until they got a doctor to come they sent extra nurses. And they ended up doing more then their ;Lic, allowed, but if they witnessed and then helped a doctor preform a medical procedure, if it was do it or let the person die, sometimes they did it. After many years, and nurses who had extra training were sent to war zones to help out until a doctor was sent. Now They actually go back to school and train on a dozen procedures that usually doctors do. Most of the same classes both a nurse and doctor takes. The only difference as I see it, is the PA, does not do 3 years internship. They are an RN, and another year of training. I think>

• Diane A
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

No not quite, not a RN and in the military they were medics, not RNs, and nurses do not take the same classes 

• 3 weeks ago

I think you may be misinterpreting the title "Physician's Assistant". PAs don't just stand there and hand the doctor a stethoscope. They usually see patients in the doctor's place, especially for routine visits or check ups on previously diagnosed conditions. They have to have most of the knowledge that a doctor has. So of course they study medicine. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Yep, you are wrong. PAs certainly study medicine and they practice medicine: doing a physical exam, getting a history, making diagnoses, interpreting and ordering tests, reading xrays ultrasounds etc, doing surgical procedures, suturing, writing prescriptions, doing procedures... that IS medicine. what do you think they are studying?

Source(s): PA
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

im sure they do or they wouldnt be able to help the doctors there

• Turtle
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

yes. Physician Assistant IS a branch of medicine. They can work in any area/specialty that a doctor can and in most cases, perform a lot of the same duties.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Could be?  Yes, you are.  Don't quit your fast food job.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

You could not be more wrong.

• 3 weeks ago

Of course it is a study in medicine, just not a doctorate in medicine.  According to Yale's PA program website "he physician assistant or associate (PA) is a state-licensed or federally-credentialed health care professional who practices MEDICINE with physician supervision."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.