Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

If someone asks “how are you?” & you are having a bad day, feel down or tired or ill etc.. should you ever tell them the truth? ?

As people do not care and it’s just a greeting..

Or do you say “fine thanks and you?”

As noone wants the real answer.

• Prince

You CAN. I sometimes DO, but am unsurprised that most of them then just look disappointed or annoyed that I told them. A FEW will listen and be sympathetic, but most people just want you to say you're "fine" automatically.  I am sometimes honest simply because, technically you are within your rights to tell them if they ask. It usually surprises them though. 

I tell them, I tell them I am fine but what is the use of complaining, nothing will be done even if I have stress

• Cas

Sure. "How are you?" can be a greeting or it can be a conversation starter. Nothing wrong with answering truthfully.

• denise

Usually I say "Fine thanks", even though I'm not feeling 'fine', to be polite.

Alternatively I say "Dont ask", if its someone I know, they realise then, that you dont want to talk about it.

• denise

'Fireplace', Its just a reply that means, You dont wanna know.

• Raven

If I'm genuinely not having a good day I reply with "It's just whatever". I don't push for a discussion about it but I can't stand phony greetings. I understand people really don't give a crap about how you feel, but I also don't give a crap if they want a sugar coated response all the time. 

I'm actually having a good day today (lol not that anybody cares) but this is my general overall attitude of the "How is your day" greeting. When I want to talk to someone, I usually say "Hi", "Good morning", etc. and see where the conversation goes from there. If people have a problem with me greeting them (as some have in the past), I just walk right on by without looking at them anymore. 

This is how I talk and people can take it or leave it, but when I talk to people I want real conversations. What did you do last night? What's your favorite show? I already know how the weather is, thanks. I've just been outside. 

I typically say "I'm okay' and leave it at that.

I used to have a manager that would ask me that everyday, and "I'd respond with "Okay, thank you" to which he would always respond "JUST okay?" He wanted me to say I'm fantastic. Drove me up the wall!!!!

• mars

Yes. I say "I'm o.k. thanks" in a level way, (rather than "Fine thanks!"). Better to soldier-on

Comes down to whether the person receiving the questions wants to be honest or wants to present a facade, regardless of who is asking and the setting in which the question is asked. Some people will never tell the truth, some will weigh up the situation before answering and some people will be honest, no matter the response or the setting or the recipient of the answer.

• A C

You could just say "I've been better" . 

• Raven

If I'm a bad mood I might reply with "The weather is making me feel crappy" even if it's perfectly sunny outside. I just like seeing people's reactions. 

There is no 'should' in matters like this. Everyone is different, and reacts to this kind of thing differently.