YOLO asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

How should I deal with a family member who nags or preaches to me into a better life, even if nothing is broken or wrong?

I have a aunt who's life expectation is for her kids to graduation, go to college, Get a well paying job and leave the urban neighborhood for a better life somewhere else. To be honest, As a person who lives in these areas for the long time, It really isn't that bad for me. Sure there is a chance that you can get robbed, stabbed, or shot just like any other city. But if you stick to you common sense and make good choices and not getting involve in anything then you'll be alright. The problem is that my aunt thinks that we are better off leaving the area for somewhere that is suburban and/or peaceful to get away from the area. Seems great but it isn't the life that I ask for. I'll rather stay where i'm at and make a difference in the community then to runaway from it. And when I try to tell her something like that she'll get upset and lectures me to death until I prove her right. She also believes that education and college is the only gateway to better life; which is not in my opinion since my dream is to give a message use my art to do so and hopefully build a foundation where everyone can get together and show the world that not everything they see is bad such a the urban neighborhood. I really don't know if she don't understand or just doesn't agree with me at all. I really need some advice for ya'll of what should I do in order for someone like her to understand. 

This is an aunt, not a parent, so one wonders why you even care what she thinks. If you want to stay in a bad neighborhood and be a starving artist (and you're an adult) it's no one's business but your own. Just make sure you're earning enough not to be a drag on your local tax base. Choosing to live with less is admirable but expecting others to pay for your existence is not.

Tune her out or leave the room.

i would just tell her you dont want to talk about it

You can't change someone's mind. If you like it where you live, you do. So stay if that's your plan.

Not sure why you have to try to discuss this half to death with your Aunt or expect her to change her mind. She probably never will.

I think you're way too concerned about what she thinks and aren't focusing on your own ideas

• YOLO3 weeks agoReport

You're right, I should focus on myself no matter what  the others say.

my advice will be this: tell your aunt to mind her own business. and my opinion about u and your future life: total loser with no prospect in life. but this is my opinion and what would u care about it. u go live your life the way u want it. and hope u will not end up in a box under a bridge when u re old.

and I 100 percent agree with your aunt by the way. still she should not interfere with your life

• YOLO3 weeks agoReport

Thank You :-)