Monica asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Why are Ulcers all over dog?

Got this sweet Amstaff/retriever from my coworker. She said she wanted to Rehome him because she had to keep him outdoors and with freezing weather, he wouldn’t survive outside. I got him and noticed these all over his body. His paw pad has a huge one almost a hole, there is one developing on his Hip, and other leg. The one on his paw is bleeding I saw blood paw print on his potty pad..He was living outdoors so idk if an animal bit him and caused infection or what... he has a vet visit Saturday, just curious in the meantime if anyone knows what this could be? 

• Ocimom

Only a vet can diagnois and treat your dog.  Sorry but I think she knew this dog was having a lot of medical problems and she wanted to dump the dog - not just because the dog was outside all the time. 

Be prepared for a large vet bill!

• patty

please take to vet as this sort of thing won't get better on its own. get the previous owner to help with costs

Clearly without a proper examination (and dare I say, a vet degree), nobody is going to be able to give an appropriate answer.  

Could be hot-spots that were left too long, could be cat bites that were left untreated, could be multiple issues.

Best thing to do is get to a vet and get them cleaned and treated.

Also someone mentioned your use of pottypads…  Your dog is used to going outside, don't retrain him into toileting indoors.  All kinds of trouble there.  Don't ever expect your dog to understand a "sometimes" rule.  Put him on a leash and walk him outdoors when he has to go out.

Use proper training to make sure he's not going to have accidents indoors, but don't use training pads for him to use inside.  

Source(s): vet 21 years, behavioural specialist

Looks infected. Better see a vet.

That is one neglected dog, the owner should be reported.

• Maxi

No idea what it is although it belonged to one very bad owner who didn't care for the dog at all to allow it to get into such bad condition and without any vet visits to find out why or get vet treatment for the poor dog

I would suspect as many as the dog has that he has been bitten by something.  A horse fly comes to mind - they do bite both horses & dogs, prefer moving & dark colored objects. These bites (now indeed ulcers; look deep and $eriou$).  I would have see the vet BEFORE Saturday.  These things can go septic if he develops a staph infection.

I guess you have your reasons, BUT NOBODY (who knows anything about dogs) versus being a scam artist.... EVER recommends using "potty pads".  All you will do is TEACH the dog is OKAY to potty INSIDE YOUR HOME.  Unteaching it will be difficult if not impossible and unless he remains confined to an area with the pad - he will then proceed to GO anywhere & everywhere inside your home, as dogs so "trained" do not really get the concept of GOING on a TARGET.  You have simply "okayed" GOING indoors.

Personally I've never seen anything this bad on a dog and this co-worker should have had him at the vets before this and certainly before passing him over to you and leaving you with the bill. 

So hope it can be sorted quickly but tbh, with the amount of surface flesh missing,  this is going to take months of care. 

As said, only a vet should be involved in examining, diagnosing and treating this poor animal.   He certainly need antibiotics to aid healing without infection setting in.    They could be fatty cysts that have let go, as they can and when they do, again antibiotics are often needed.

VET - ASAP.

I have no idea being a shepherd. The best person to ask would be the dogs vet