“Living is a scapegoat for death” Does it make sense?

Does that phrase make sense? I’m not sure how to word it. Basically, I’m trying to say that living is just an excuse for waiting until death. 

First time I read it, I understood it as, "living is just the excuse for not dying". Because a scapegoat = blaming someone or something else for something, in this case "living" is being blamed for not being dead. 

Mag, throw out scapegoat; it doesn't work:

"Depending upon your experience, death is the price you pay, or your consolation for living." 

Perhaps something similar to this is closer to your thought. At any rate, it's been my experience. I'll be dead soon and it will definitely be my consolation; the price was too high!

No, it simply doesn't work.

Somebody suggested 'stop-gap', and to me that makes far more sense. Just something that you have to do, have to get through, before you reach the thing you're REALLY waiting for - death.

Life is a nanoscopic window of light between infinite darkness.

I watched a timescale of the universe and at the end it really put that into perspective.  It was like 0000000000000000.1 something compared to everything else that has and will happen.

• Zirp

No it doesn't

a scapegoat is someone who is blamed and punished for something someone else has done

A scapegoat is someone who takes the punishment meant for another person, so that doesn't say what you're trying to say. You might try "Living is a preparation for death" or "Living is the doorway to death".

• Pat Wooden

I'm aware of the entomology of the word Larry, but the current meaning according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is: "a person who is unfairly blamed for something that others have done."

scapegoat means a fake object of blame, so not what you want to use here.  You aren't blaming living for death, or using living to hide the bad thing that is death (if you mean death is bad).  Neither is a scapegoat for the other.

No, it does not make sense. It would help if you knew what "scapegoat" meant. Try a dictionary. I'm not sure what word would describe your profound idea. Maybe "a stopgap until death.""

Edit: 

noun

a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place.

Chiefly Biblical. a goat let loose in the wilderness on Yom Kippur after the high priest symbolically laid the sins of the people on its head. Lev. 16:8,10,26.

There, that wasn't hard.

• bluebellbkk

The trouble is, Maggie, so many people DON'T bother to look words up before posting here, that we now assume that's the case. If you HAVE looked it up, tell us so in your question. That way you don't waste our time, and we don't waste yours.

Swap it - Death is the scapegoat for life

You only have one life, only fate knows when it ends.

• forget it2 weeks agoReport

I love this. You have no idea who I am but you believe it shouldn't be super helpful. That is fine, but I am a screenwriter and can imagine and create art with words. :) 

• JOHN

You seem to be saying something like "the whole purpose of living is as a preparation for death". It is a possible way of feeling, though I fear not a psychologically healthy one.

• maggie2 weeks agoReport

Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to insinuate. It’s just a quote from a fictional story I’m writing! Haha just wanted to see if the “living is a scapegoat for death” meant the same thing