patty
patty asked in EnvironmentClimate Change · 2 weeks ago

do u see any signs of climate change?

• sam

yes.........................................

yep... its cooler now then it was a couple months ago here in N America...

• Dj2541

Yes  every  day, from the  movements  of  tropical  fish  into  southern waters where they never  were  before  to the  altered cropping  schedules  of  farmers!

I think so ...

When I was a kid, there were predictions made in terms of how climate change might affect Ireland. Those were related to the impact of warming oceans and suggested that the east of the country would become drier in summer and have fewer frost days in winter, whereas the west and midlands would get wetter.

I live in Dublin in the east. I remember my dad scraping ice from the windows of his car in the mornings when he dropped us into school. Twenty years later and I don't think I'm scraping my car anywhere near as often. My dad agrees with me. In recent years we have had summers with long dry spells. I don't remember grass in Dublin looking as yellow as it gets now with lack of rain. We have also had hosepipe bans with low reservoir levels. I'm not saying these haven't happened before, but they do seem more frequent.

In the west of the country, farmers have had trouble producing enough hay in summer for animal feed in winter. This was partially due to lack of rain some years, but mostly high rainfall levels. Recent studies have suggested the last decade was the wettest Ireland has experienced in 300 years.

My mother will tell you that her garden has gone weird. Plants are flowering at odd times and flowering multiple times. There are still flowers in her garden at the end of November that should have vanished months ago. They have a pear tree that used to produce fruit once in a blue moon ... now it is every year.

We have also seen, in recent years, hurricanes forming more easterly than normally is the case in the tropics. This year we saw two go completely the wrong direction, moving north east rather than west and hitting Ireland and the UK (downgraded by that point to storms). Two years ago, we saw something similar. Whether this is a fluke or something statistically being driven by climate change, I don't know. But we will see in time.

• Climate Realist

In North America, it is the West that is getting dryer and the East that is getting wetter.

i live in a town and barley notice anything

I'm really conflicted about Climate change. On the one hand the melt in the North Pole seems to be a reality but there's now evidence of Sea Ice increase at the South Pole. That does not change the fact that sea levels are rising but it does lend itself to how change happens and at different times and places. While living in the Southern Deserts of the US in late 60's and early 70's there were terrible lightening, rain and hail storms that came with an almost daily series of Monsoons in the summer. Not that I am keeping track but; the summer storms are much milder these days and the last two winters saw some serious winter rains like never before. Is that climate change or a shift in patterns? Is that evidence or just opinion? The fact that the world is talking about it is justified in my mind but the reality is still illusive. We wait for more exact science I suppose, meanwhile I'm going to continue supporting the cleanup of our oceans by 4ocean.

• JimZ

They want people to believe that we should enact their fascist agenda because sea ice melts every summer and sometimes more than other times and these fascists call others deniers.  

I saw a "Dip Ahead" sign and then I noticed all the alarmist dips.  

Thanksgiving is coming up! We used to play hockey on the pond near my house every Thanksgiving morning while the turkey was cooking. For the last 15 years we could swim in that pond (with wet suits) instead. It's early Jan before it's safe to skate on it anymore. I know that is local and not global, but it is a drastic change in climate.

• Cowboy

If you don't see the changes, you're either too young to understand climate or you're blind... yet even the blind can perceive this obvious truth....

• oikoσ

Not unless you count melting glaciers, lack of sea ice, Great Lakes not freezing over (leading to more evaporation and heavier lake-effect snowfall), greater incidence of flooding, and crop-killing droughts

• oikoσ

OMG, they froze one year. Alert the press! Climate is about long-term trends. And where did you get that cosmic ray flux crap?