Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 weeks ago

Philosophy: Isn't remorse the worst emotion a human being can feel ?

• Best answer

I would think that outright terror would  be far worse.   At least, many with PTSD would think so.

In my experience BETRAYAL is the worst feeling you can have but there are even worse things then that.

we would say it is one of the better emotions a human being can feel

we would say schadenfreude is the worst

• j153e

Much worse than morse.

However, "morse" never became a word; its meaning comes from PIE *mer-, to rub away in a harmful manner, and from *mer- such words as mortal, morbid, mordant, and murder--and remorse--developed, as needed.

Remorse is more recently from re-, back, and Latin mordere, to bite--i.e., that which comes back to bite one.  A kinder, gentler meaning of remorse is repent--to rethink one's behavior, and to change proactively before remorse sets in.

A related kind of sadness is expressed by John Greenleaf Whittier:  "Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"  To this latter point, the Biblical phrase of the Word of the LORD to the prophet Joel:  "And I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten...."

Related:

"Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive;"

"Understanding Yourself," by Mark Prophet.

What do you suppose is the worst punishment to give to one who has committed unspeakable acts?

A conscience.

• small

Yes.... because the blame is entirely on oneself.

• P

No. Far from it

It depends upon the individual and his or her life experience. You might argue for events over which you have no control, like unrequited love. I lived through an earthquake in India which caused thousands of deaths. The screams of the dying will never leave me. My feelings over something over  which I had no control have left me permanently traumatized. We all have regrets, but sometimes a person becomes wise enough to forgive themselves or what has occurred as the result of the world's indifference or an individual's actions. It results in wisdom and the realization that Christ was right; we should forgive one another. It is a difficult lesson to learn; for some it is impossible, but regret destroys your ability to be happy, and in some makes a productive future impossible.

When we sin, we too may carry the crushing burden of a pained conscience. This feeling of remorse is healthy. It can move us to take positive steps to correct our mistakes. There is, however, a danger of becoming overwhelmed by guilt. Our self-condemning heart might insist that Jehovah will not forgive us, no matter how repentant we are. If we become “swallowed up” by guilt, Satan may try to get us to give up, to feel that Jehovah views us as worthless, unfit to serve him.—2 Corinthians 2:5-11.

There is a good argument for you being correct and I agree that it is a terrible emotion. However for me, I think the worst emotion one can feel is fear because fear indicates a loss of control. I think that as long as you are in control of your own actions and morality then you can’t blame anyone else for bad things happening. If you are reliant or forced to go against your own morality then that is the worst thing that can happen imo. Hope my answer made sense x