Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

I feel trapped?

My parents don't allow me to have friends. They think everyone in the world is a bad influence. They regularly read my texts, and if they see one thing they don't like, they don't allow me to talk to the person. They did this with all of my friends until I eventually had none. My friends weren't bad people at all. In fact, they were all people I met at church. My parents had no real reason to keep me from talking to them. I am 17 years old, and they still regularly check my devices as well. Everything on my phone is disabled other than calling and texting. Even all of my apps are locked. I am not allowed to watch what I want to, or talk to who I want to, or have even the smallest bit of freedom. Again, I'm 17, and they wont allow me to get a job either. They say they want me to be more responsible, but when I offer to pay my own phone bill, and buy my own groceries, they refuse. They never give me a reason why they say no. They simply say no. I think the real reason they don't allow me is because they want to keep me in this house as long as they possibly can. They also turn my wifi off whenever they leave the house, which is frustrating because I need my laptop for school. They keep me under constant surveillance and I'm tired of it. I'm almost an adult, and they still treat me like i'm 5. They also yell at me and verbally abuse me almost every day. They say i'm not good enough, and that i'm stupid, and a slew of other things. I have also been denied therapy and medical care

They're SUPPOSED to check your devices, this is just Parenting 101. But if they don't even think church friends are good enough you'll have to ask them what kind of people you'd be allowed to befriend. Maybe they'd like the chess club people or the robotics class participants. Ask them just whom they'd approve of and let them know that isolating you from all other teens is going to leave you painfully unsocialized.

Being yelled, being denied therapy and medical care are ABUSE. You can report them to CPS.

• - Mé -

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/child-abuse-and-neglect.htm educate yourself.

maybe you should try getting emancipated so you dont have to live at home

• Orla C

They sound very unreasonable. Contact Children's support services and report them. This sounds like abuse. 

Stop ranting and grow up 

They have every right to read your texts and you have no right to stop them. And since you still live with them you have no right to watch what you want, no right to do what you want. They don't even have to give you a reason, they are adults. 

Since they pay for the wifi they have a right to turn it off when they want. And there's no abuse. you are typcial spoiled brat 

Seeing that you are just ranting, not asking a question, if you are 17 you know that you have less than a year before you can change it all by leaving home when you are 18. Thus you should be focused on preparing for that transition rather than focusing on your present circumstances.

You said you are 17- is it possible for you to make it through until you are an adult and no longer have to stay with them? Sounds like a horrible situation but doesn’t seem like there’s much you can do about it if they refuse to listen to you. Have courage, you can make it <3