Why are there so many recreational cannabis users? ?

The question sounds like stereotyping, but I’m actually more so curious than I am prejudicial. I honestly don’t understand the “hype” behind smoking marijuana or the properties of its recreational use; not to say I haven’t tried this myself because I have. But I had horrific experiences with marijuana use (one or two good experiences out of the ten or so times I have smoked) and it just etched in my mind, why do people enjoy it so much? Why am I not feeling what these other people are? I’m curious to hear thoughts and opinions as to what people find so enjoyable about this plant and it’s abilities. I just am curious, so please, no hate!

stupidity...ick ask them I guess but sounds dumb and a waste of $$

• Zirp

"Why am I not feeling what these other people are?"

Because you are a different person, or at least  were in a different mood when using it.

Not everybody enjoys cannabis

Have you tried making love, eating tasty food, or listening to the music you like while stoned? For me, enhanced sensory experiences are a large part of why I like to use cannabis.

I think it basically removes the barrier between you and your experience--that barrier being a certain part of the mind that dominates most people and that filters out a huge amount of our experience, which renders ordinary experience rather colorless and boring a lot of or most of the time. When this part of the mind is disabled, all our senses come alive and our experience becomes incredibly rich. This is why people like cannabis so much--"ordinary" things become vivid and interesting. Not only the senses wake up--so does the mind, and people are able to think more deeply about things and find meaning much more easily. However, this is also the source of negative experiences people have on cannabis, because our habitual ways of perceiving and understanding and dealing with the world are much less available to us. We're freed, in a way--and that can be very anxiety-provoking.

• Mog

It affects everybody differently. It doesn’t work well for some people. For others, it is extremely beneficial.