Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 3 weeks ago

Does US citizenship affect hiring process with CGI?

Hi, I applied for a position in CGI in northern Virginia through university and I just had the final interview with them yesterday. But when I was in the office filling out the interview form with some basic info, it said on the paper that "all positions through college recruiting require US citizenship". I left the checkbox blank because I didn't feel comfortable answering it. But all the process I went through before the final round including job description and their office presentation, all said that you have to be either a citizen or permanent resident to be eligible to work there. I am a permanent resident and still really want to work for them. Also in the job description, it says that "qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, citizenship status etc" Does anyone know if it's going to be a deal breaker?

Whether it’s a dealbreaker probably depends on the specific job in question. Some that deal with national security simply require citizenship.

I would say your unwillingness to answer questions on the application form is a deal breaker. Why would you not answer?

• Lisa A

By permanent resident, do you mean a legal permanent resident in possession of a valid, unexpired green card? Then it should not be a problem, unless you need a security clearance. Then all bets are off.

I don't see why it should be an issue if you're a permanent resident unless it's high security work or they contract with the government. The government often requires that everyone be a citizen. 

National origin is not the equivalent of citizenship.  They can't discriminate against people from other countries if they are now US citizens.