Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 weeks ago

Announcing pregnancy to friends ?

Is it bad that I find it annoying that ever since I told a few of my friends I was expecting (who don’t know each other) they each automatically think they are going to be the god parent.. I thought I was supposed to ask them and to be honest I didn’t intend on asking either of them. When they ask me how is their baby doing I get really agitated on the inside but they would probably think I’m acting funny if I told them I didn’t want them to be the godmother. Is it bad I feel this way or shouldn’t that be something I choose?

1 week ago

A godparent is chosen by picking somebody with whom you believe has a strong enough faith in God and agrees to raise your child in the religion of your chosen faith, should you not be able to do so yourself. Choosing a godparent is not a popularity contest among your friends and acquaintances. It is a quote-unquote standby job that last 18 years.

It is very common for a godparent to be chosen among family members or long time family friends. The reason being is friends come and go but your family is always your family.

When I was in my early twenties,  a close friend from high school asked me to be the Godparen her child. I agreed. Soon after, we got busy with our own lives, and when she moved out of state, we lost touch. The child and I never really got to know one another and are strangers today. Although I do take part responsibility for that, I learned through that experience that a Godparent should not be chosen lightly, nor should someone who is not willing to make the commitment agree to be a Godparent.

I am fortunate enough to be from a large family, so we all picked at least one family member to be the godparents of our children. And we are all eternally grateful that we never had to rely on a godparent to see that our children were raised in a faith of our choice.

Oh its just talk...hot air

I think they are more implying how's baby doing.

I'd never mention it or bring up the topic if they did I'd say that's my husband has that all figured out.

Yes it's something you need to choose. Neither of my kids have godparents.

• .

You choose the best person for the job, if it were me, I would make sure the GodParents were not stepfamily, I would choose a friend or relative that knows a lot about children, maybe even a friend that's a daycare worker that understands children really well and that can be trusted.

Something off here.  Simply asking how the baby is doing isn't an indication that they expect to be godparents.  Has each of them actually said, "Gee, I'm so looking forward to being the baby's godparent!"?

Of course, the parents decided on who the godparents are based on the beliefs of their faith.  If people are actually stating this assumption, you need to nip that in the bud.  "Oh, gee Emily, Dylan and I haven't even discussed who we'll ask to be the baby's godparents."  

• sarah

I don't think you're wrong for being annoyed at all. Godparents should absolutely be chosen by the mother/father of the baby. And if you choose not to select any godparents, that's totally okay, too. You need to tell these girls that while you hope they will be a major part of your baby's life, they are not godparents. If they can't accept that, you should probably find some better friends.

Your friends are tacky.

Just tell them you've already asked someone..

• Byrd

Oh such juvenile baby mama drama

I don't think it's bad that you feel that way, because it's your choice. I think the best advice I could give you would be to say to them "I already had someone else in mind, I'm sorry." or something like that.