How can I convince my parents to let me get a phone?

I am 14 and pretty responsible, and I will buy it with my own money.

offer to do more chores around the house for it

Introduce them to friends of your that already have them and have them explain how their parents have control over their phones, especially ones that have parents that KNOW your parents.  Sometimes parents need to know its ok to allow their children to do certain things by seeing their friends with kids do so first.

I don't understand why buying a phone is that difficult

First, I assume you're talking about a smart phone?   There's lots of good arguments for a basic flip-phone.  If your parents don't want you to have a smartphone yet, there's not much you can do or say to change their minds.   This probably doesn't help, but most parents I know don't allow this, either. There's just too much evidence of the problems it can cause.

If you want to try anyway, don't bring up the fact that you'll buy the phone.   You might think this sounds mature, but it's actually the opposite.  Your parents are the ones paying for the electricity to charge it, the wifi to get online, and the phone plan that gives you a number.

Instead, ask questions.  What will it take for them to feel comfortable with this?   You could promise you will give them the phone any time they want, you will hand it over every night at a certain time (so you won't be up at 1 am texting someone), you will give them passwords to any social media, you will not download any social media without asking first, and you will make sure GPS software is active on your phone so they can always know where you are.

This shows maturity, but I still don't think it will work.  It might speed up the process, but the sound like good parents and they'll do it when they think you're ready.

Save the money for college.

Point out to them that it's really a safety issue. You can call for help if it ever comes to that, plus Google Maps allows them to know where you are at all times plus they can instantly get in touch with you. Good luck.

• Ole

Just ask your grandparents if they need adult.

Ask them at different times. Like when they have more money. Ask them every now and then

Can you afford the fees?