Rightman asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 3 weeks ago

£10 hour min wage, a 22% rise .. how's this gonna work?

HGV drivers earn that now and it's hard, stressful work. Every trucker in the land is gonna jack it in if they can earn a tenner an hour  stacking shelves. The same will happen right across the job market so effectively do we ALL get a 22% pay rise?? How can the economy support this?

I don't this policy proposal has been properly thought through tbh.

Update:

Strong economies enable high wages, not vice versa.  Or everywhere would pay £10/ hour.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

This is the Minimum and in some cases may cut the welfare bill. Small businesses will receive state support by tax breaks or other means. I would imagine that there would be a knock on effect from truck drivers etc as they would deserve to be paid above minimum. My feeling is that those who sleep well in their beds while sanctioning a system that leaves millions of people in poverty, need to develop a social conscience.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Companies will just sack staff and so there will be more claiming benefits. I begin to wonder what planet these politicians are on.

• Biff
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

If an HGV driver is being paid only £10 an hour they should be looking for a different employer. And would an HGV driver really want a mind-numbing job like stacking shelves?

£10 an hour in 2020 is only £1 more than the Conservatives were promising in 2017 anyway.

• Biff
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

A new Conservative government will continue to increase the National Living Wage to 60 per cent of median earnings by 2020. That was projected to be £9.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Many small businesses simply cannot afford it, so they will reduce staff, or close entirely.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It's a dopey left wing idea that has not been thought out.

A £10 minimum wage will drive up inflation because companies will need to raise their prices to pay their employees, so ultimately workers will be no better off. 

Inflation will also drive up the cost of fuel so again prices will rise and everyone will be worse off. Therefore, £10 will have no more value than £8.21 minimum wage does this minute. 

• FØXY Ðï
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

When the £8.21 wage was introduced I saw a marked rise in prices and the energy companies immediately put up their prices. Perhaps you don't know the value of goods or go shopping? 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The most economically successful US states have a $12-14/hour minimum wage now like California and Washington. 

£10/hour is nothing. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Henry Ford famously paid his workers much more than the going rate at the time.  He wanted his workers to be able to afford to buy his cars.  

We do need to halt the race to the bottom in wages and worker's rights.  A living wage is a good start. 

• Jack H
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

https://pin.it/qrpnv5foookrzz Others feel the same way...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.