Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

I called my bro's wife the "B" word, was I justified?

Whenever I eat something, she hides the food from me. Like I ate some sweet potato and she hid all of them. I ate yogurt and she hid them. I ate shrimp and she wrapped the bag and tied it up so I couldn't eat anymore.

She also deletes TV shows I DVR. Unfortunately, we share a house together.

So was I justified??

All the residents in this household need to sit down and clear the air. If you're the one paying for the sweet potatoes, yogurt and shrimp then she shouldn't be hiding them from you. If on the other hand you're mowing through their groceries you'd be the one who needs to step off.

In that moment, you made a choice that felt right for you.  Given you are now reflecting on that choice, perhaps you are less sure of your behavior.  While your sister-in-law's behavior/attitude may not be acceptable to you, name calling resolves very little and can often escalate an underlying problem.  If you are truly frustrated with your SIL's behavior, be open to having a conversation with her and ascertain her point of view to better understand why she behaves in this manner.  Also, look at your role in this situation.  Have you done or said anything that could possibly be misunderstood or misinterpreted on some level that would cause your SIL to engage in this behavior?

• Lita

No, you weren't justified. Her actions are wrong but that doesn't justify you calling her a vulgar name.

• Cas

She sounds like a terrible person. I used to have in-laws like that.

no cause two wrongs dont make it right, i would apologize

• Laurie

If ir doesn’t belong to you — that is, if you did not pay for it - don’t touch it. Problem solved.

You eat her food, record shows she doesn't think are appropriate (and which fill up her recorder so she can't record shows she wants to watch?);  what else do you do?  Leave your clothes lying around so she becomes the free maid service just to protect her own family's health?  Do you even help with the dishes?  I expect you're a slob who lies around on the couch all day, watches violent shows on TV, plays video games instead of doing any housework, and expects her to do all the cooking and cleaning.  No wonder she hides the food from your gluttonous presence.  If you're going to share a house, you need to share the chores, and buy your own food.  Get a second refrigerator so your stuff all goes into its own fridge.  And do your own cooking and cleaning.  She is not worthy of the label you put on her.  If you continue being hostile and unappreciative, you can expect you will either be kicked out of the house or she (and the rest of her family) will move out, leaving you to fend for yourself.

Did you buy the food you ate?

She sounds like a total C-nt to me! I would strangle her!

• Kyle

get your own home, and you can eat all the food and watch all the TV you want.  they took you in.  be grateful and learn to share.  maybe offer to do chores around the home until you get a job and your own place.