Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 weeks ago

Why are war veterans so quiet? ?

I know in general why, but I mean a few I’ve met who are completely silent and won’t say a word, but will nod his head or something.. 

Update:

To be more specific, I usually don’t ask them anything unless they seem willing to talk, and I don’t ask for their “war stories”. I know in general what happens to them so I know they’re reserved. 

Update 2:

But I’m interested about the ones who like never talk; I work at a grocery store and I saw one guy with a “Leave Me Alone” veteran hat, so I gave him a “welcome home” TY note, and he walked over and gave me a hug without saying a word and left. Then today I saw him again, again he approached without saying a word and just shook my hand and then left. 

Update 3:

I understand reserved, but not complete silence, when I never asked anything or tried to talk about it...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Depends on several factors. Maybe they don’t like you or maybe they just don’t like people.

• 2 weeks ago

You wanna know about war.. get off your lazy asss go join and go and find out. Stop bothering us with your BS QUESTIONS.. 

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

I know one who never shuts the fug up.  I'll trade ya.  He talks constantly, repeats himself but doesn't mutter a single peep about anything that's important.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Does one speak softly, but carry a big stick? Is it needed to beat sense into you?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

My son and I can talk for hours/days when I visit his family.

He served from 11/08-2/16 saw action in Iraq then Afghanistan.

He Never told me during those 8 years that he even deployed.

We don't discuss military unless he mentions going to see one of his buddies.

Great son and My hero for all his faults!

• 2 weeks ago

because they know better and are respectable individuals, they have a dignified silence and are so far above this snowflake generation.

Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Sometimes there is survivor's guilt.  A WW2 Marine vet I know got held back from a planned action in Okinawa because he sprained his ankle unloading stuff.  Lots of guys he knew returned dead or maimed.

But he saw plenty of other action during his service.

• 2 weeks ago

Because they've seen some really unbelievable things, and basically, have little patience for every day petty BS  when  they get home. 

For many it's a hard adjustment to make. 

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Alot of people are like that. They usually don't share their personal life.

• 2 weeks ago

Maybe ptsd. They've seen a lot of **** so they just keep to themselves.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.