Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

Can a person with sports-induced asthma become good runners?

I am planning on getting a job in criminology and to start, you have to become an officer, be in corrections, probation, parole, etc. So for a of these, I would have to become fit. I have pretty good arm strength for being a 4'10" Asian girl. Like, I can and have never had any problems with doing push ups or pull ups. I have also been able to do sit ups and other exercises, but I am not a good jogger. Whenever I had to run the mile in High School, I always finished at 10 minutes, which is literally barely making it. If it took me one second more, then I would have had to make that run, again. But I have sports-induced asthma. I have been able to do short sprinting. In fact, I typically came in around 3rd out of all of the students in my class when we were sprinting short distance. But I cannot do long distance. My throat always starts feeling like someone lit a match to it and same with my stomach and lungs. I also start feeling dizzy and nauseous like I did not get enough air in my system, but I need to learn how to do this. So are there any tips on how to breathe more effectively? If there are, what are they? My mom is going to sign us up to join the gym, so would it be a good idea to hire a personal trainer to teach me how to run well? Or is this just something that I am going to have to take up with my doctor?

Favorite Answer

This is a matter that you're going to need to take up with a doctor. A fitness trainer is NOT going to be helpful, and can even give bad advice, where health issues are concerned. The same thing applies I've seen also applies to advice on diet and nutrition. They place to much emphasis on protein, but not enough elsewhere. They good at what they do regarding the physical end, but they should NOT be looked to for help, where our health is concerned.