At what age do you (or plan to) give your kids their own tech?

their own phone, tablet etc? I know there are some people who buy the kindle kids version for their 1 year olds.

For the phone, they need to be at least 11 years old and even then it should be a flip phone with no unlimited texting or calling. If they want to have a phone with internet on it, then they'll have to wait until they're 15. For the tablet though, I'd say at least 16 years old.

• edward

My son has his little electric toys if that qualifies. He’ll be going to my school where they now require iPads in 4th grade. So he’ll probably have whatever he needs for school. I got a gameboy colour when they came out and i got a game boy advance SP when they came out and then left the handhelds for a while till the DSi came out and i bought one in grade 10. I had a laptop in 7th grade but we had a family computer i used in grade 4 mostly, i used encyclopedias before that.

My daughters are adults now - so this is based on what I did.

They had limited playtime on video games after the age of 8.

They had limited access and playtime on the family computer after the age of 10.  (more access as they became older.)  I bought them their own laptops when they were 16.  

They never had a cell phone.  They never had tablets or any other hand held device.

As I mentioned - they are adults now and still don't have cell phones - their choice.  

They don't have their faces glued to a screen.

• KTJoe

Tech devices are available for all age groups I would say 1yr-old.

• Murzy

8 or 9 yrs old .

• Gary

I got my iPhone when I was 8. I am 17 now. Had every iPhone since then.

• .

Our kids had access to the family PC from birth.  They got Nintendo DS devices in 3rd grade, iPods in 5th grade, and cell phones in 9th grade (high school).

We got them laptops when they were high school juniors.  We bought a tablet for our oldest son, but he never really used it much.