Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

Why can't I be the snow queen in nutcracker?

Not to sound cocky but my dance teacher had told me that I'm the best dancer in her studio. She asked me what I wanted to do in nutcracker and I said the snow queen but she said no. Now I'm Clara which I like but why can't I be snow queen? Is it because I'm short? I don't get it.

We're started rehearsals a month ago but I just feel so jealous seeing the girl doing snow queen. It looks amazing and then I just have to sit the whole time in second act.

Lorraine, here's how it actually happened.

She asked me which part I'd like to have and I said snow queen. Then, like a week later, she have me Clara etc and when I asked her if I can have snow queen she said "no".

That's how it happened.

• Joe

Your dance teacher and I have spoken about you many times. You just aren't that good a dancer plus you have a bad attitude. Maybe try radio or voice overs.

• drip

She didn’t say you get to pick out any role you want. 

She ask what role you would like. 

That didn’t work out.  Only your director can tell you why.

If you didn’t want the role of Clara you should of bowed out of the production. 

Clara is a much harder role and she has more stage time. 

• mintchips49

That really depends on the production. In a recreational school sometimes Clara just watches everyone else dance even though the story is about her. Other times it is a larger dance part. 

Sorry to say it but 

"Oh how dance teachers love students like you !!! " 

You are not going to get anywhere in this profession with this attitude.  Personally I would accept any student coming to me in a mature manner to discuss why they are given a specific part and all students should be taught to look at the bigger picture and realise that it is the overall performance that is considered first rather than any one students wishes.  That's the way it works. 

What I would be annoyed about however,  is a student taking to social media and whining to others about not getting the part they wanted. 

From your point of view though,  it would be unusual for a teacher to ask which part you wanted and then turn you down.  Did it happen quite as you've said I wonder. She should have auditioned each part and then you could have gone through that process. 

Clara is a wonderful part to play so put your 'big girls knickers' on and congratulate the girl who plays the Snow Queen and work hard to make a super Clara.  

• Lorraine

Point taken regarding your conversation with her.  She could have maybe been a little more tactful and given you a reason. 

• Cogito

She evidently thought that you weren't suited to that role and that someone else was.

In any sort of performance hobby or career, people have to accept rejection, criticism, being ignored, failure and disappointment.

Feeling jealous is pointless.

Try to be a bit more mature about this, be happy that you won a good role, do your absolute best, never make any comments about being disappointed and enjoy yourself.

• Nunya

Ask her if there is a specific reason she chose you to be Clara over the Queen.

Maybe you just don't look right for the part or maybe it's harder to play Clara.

That's showbusiness for you. 

Ur teachers a ****

Maybe she thought you were more suited to that role,don't sweat it,at least your still in it.