Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 8 months ago

My son and my husband taking naps, what do i do?

I come home at 5 PM. So my husband is 28 years old and my son is 4 years old.

My husband comes home around 6:30 PM and he normally likes to take a litle nap and when he wakes up he have dinner ready. I know he works a lot so its ok to take naps SOMETIMES.

And guess what. My son start taking naps with him and this is happening everyday.

Everyday when he came home, he kisses me and he goes for a nap and my son stops everything he is doing, even when he is playing something, and goes with him taking a nap, so basacly they sleep together for about 1 hour and i just do everything for 1 hour and need to do the dinner alone.

I dont like them taking naps everyday. It makes them lazyyyy.

What can i do?

• Suzy Q

You mean that every day you get to cook dinner WITHOUT having your 4 year old underfoot, WITHOUT having to deal with the witching hour, WITHOUT having to split yourself in two and make sure your 4 year old doesn't get into basically everything he's not supposed to while making sure dinner doesn't burn?

You get to cook dinner without sticking plasters on paper cuts, cooling bumps on heads and checking for signs of concussion, yelling at your kid not to stick that lego in his ear and not to stick that pencil in the light socket, or hearing "mum, I just pooped, you can check my butt now!"?

You get a WHOLE HOUR of completely uninterrupted time to focus on cooking dinner? 

And this is something you COMPLAIN about??? 

When my kids were that age, there was nothing better my husband could do to make my day less stressful than cuddle quietly on the sofa with them while I got dinner ready. 

Do nothing. You get kid free time. Embrace it. Drink a glass of wine! Calm the calamity that is your mammaries. just enjoy peace and quiet before your kid stops napping

Let me stop you in your tracks-

It does NOT make them lazy for taking a nap, sometimes the brain needs a quick refresh/recharge, nothing wrong with them taking an hour nap. 

Try pepper spray.

• LizB

Make dinner, have dinner with your family, then let your husband know you're off the mommy clock and he gets to do evening chores and bedtimes from now on.

Well 3 days a week he needs to help out not nap so you can.

Troll smarter, not harder.

Sounds like you have personal issues of your own to deal with such as jealousy and low self esteem. Napping is NOT tragic. Napping is actually very useful and for a young child VERY necessary. So your complaining over it is rather odd. If you and hubby work full schedules, why wouldn't you have set aside dinner ahead of time? You seem to have a problem with flexibility. Just as a note: you can prepare things on the weekend, freeze and then easily reheat at dinner time. You also could join a food delivery service that makes it so much easier to prepare meals or order in food. You need to mature a bit and calm the hell down hon or you are going to cause problems where none exist. Most men need a little nap to recharge their energy. I wonder if this little issue causes you strife, how you manage other things that are so much more vital. If its such a huge deal, then speak to hubby to get him to pitch in where possible. Your whining about things accomplishes NOTHING.

You are so much better than they - and so smart to not getting stuck with your young child during the day  (Yeah, soon will be old enough to ship away to boarding school!)  Too bad that SOB comes home tired all the time - how dare he. . . . . . Walk out of their lives:  that will teach them for being so selfish !!!!!

A parent and child sleeping together is seen as unhealthy if it's the parent's idea healthy if it's the kid's idea--which in this case it seems to be.  It's PERFECTLY NORMAL for a 4-year-old to take a nap in the afternoon!  Plus Hubby is tired from work and a nap helps.  I very often took a nap after work when I was that age.

So I don't see what the problem is here.  Why not delay dinner until they finish their nap?  Or even better, why not crawl into the bed with them!  Sounds like you could use a nap too!