Please help me clarify my heritage?

I am a person of one quarter Sicilian decent, and I learned that 5.5% of that is Middle Eastern. I know that Sicily was under Muslim rule between the 800s and 1000s AD, but I would like to know where my Middle Eastern ancestors came from. Would any of you be able to tell me what country my Middle Eastern ancestors likely came from?

• Clive

What does this have to do with personal finance?

Sorry to blast your air pocket however simply take a gander at the center east. Sadly After wwi a few and a ton after wwii Churchill and his a few different amigos actually utilized their sticks and choose who gets what who goes where and which should be demolished. The last would be the Assyrians or the Azaries. Take a gander at the kurds.... they have countries of kurds in Turkey in iran in iraq in syria. Take a gander at the palestinians following 4 late decades they are right around 2/3 of the number of inhabitants in Jordan. So are they still palestinians or safe to state following 40 years they are in any event the last two ages. I can go further however whatever % of you is of Bedouin plummet or center east plunge. Use it to improve the wonderful self that you as of now have ... display your beauty...and dont stress a lot over the little % of dna you may have from that locale. Or on the other hand get yourself a few books with no predisposition ( ask the curator. They are still around ) about the historical backdrop of which pockets of the Middle Easterner world during which Middle Easterner realm did they relocate to your neck of the wood. So hardly any genuine history books.

• political2 months agoReport

It appears you have copied your answer 

you are muslim 

• Erin1 month agoReport

I don't mind to be thought of as a Muslim, though technically that is a religious identity and I identify as a secular humanist. 

• Sally

You are  a mongrel.  

• Maxi

Heritage is what you inherit, it is nothing to do with entertainment DNA results which change each time you get them done.... you 'inherit' from the culture YOU were brought up in

Sorry to burst your bubble but just look at the middle east. Unfortunately After wwi some and a whole lot after wwii Churchill and his two or three other amigos literally used their canes and and decide who gets what who goes where and which need to be annihilated. The latter would be the Assyrians or the Azaries. Look at the kurds.... they have nations of kurds in Turkey in iran in iraq in syria. Look at the palestinians after 4 very recent decades they are almost 2/3 of the population of Jordan. So are they still palestinians or safe to say after 40 years they are at least the last two generations. I can go further but whatever % of you is of arab descent or middle east descent. Use it to enhance the beautiful self that you already have ... flaunt your beauty...and dont worry too much about the small % of dna you might have from that region. Or find yourself some books without any bias ( ask the librarian. They are still around ) about the history of which pockets of the arab world during which arab kingdom did they migrate to your neck of the wood. So few honest history books.

No, and neither would any haplogroup revealed in a DNA test. That would only show a region, something you already know. Haplogroups know no borders. What are today Tunisia and Libya seem the most likely as they are the closest by sea to Sicily, but the Berbers that lived there extended all across North Africa.

They came from Turkey.  Before WWI, that whole area was Turkey.  The Ottoman Empire.

No one can tell you that, in in the800s to the 1000s there weren't even the countries we know today. Its a huge region that contracted and expanded over the centuries, and the "country" probably didn't even exist and the people were called other names as well in ancient history (Saracens, Persians, Ottomans, Hittites, and even more ancient ones)

Take a genealogy DNA test.

The "middle east" is a huge area with many different ethnicities and countries with shifting boundaries, invaders, wars, etc.    No one here can give you any more details on your ancestry other than to take a genealogy DNA test.

ETA:   Yes, they can't really specify a country.  As others have stated, countries exist, move, disappear, etc.   Think about how long Israel has been around.   And a Palestinian homeland still doesn't exist.   Giving you a country name really doesn't help you. 

• That is because there is no way to know.  By the way, just about every Middle Eastern country was associated with Sicily at one time or another.