Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 8 months ago

Where can we give away a pet bird we no longer want?

About 1 year ago we bought our 13 year old son a pet bird. We did it because he really wanted a pet and we wanted something that was easy to take care of. So we purchased him a Cockatoo. I can't remember exactly what kind.

But anyways, 1 year later and this bird has been nothing but a headache. Our son almost never takes care of it, never plays with it and so on. It sits in a dark room all day. I don't have the time to take it out, and even if I do it bites. It is a very mean bird.

The bird has been nothing but trouble in our home. In screams for about 7-8 hours straight a day. This causes my husband to yell at the bird and hit his cage. We have told our son to take care of the bird or we will give it away. However he seems to no longer care.

This is very sad :( you should not buy your child a pet as they are not toys. They are living beings who have needs and require a lot of work and responsibilities. Cockatoos are one of the most difficult parrots to deal with (you should have done your research). They have fits and tantrums.What you are doing to this bird is pure abuse and I believe that you can either sell it online(some people will be interested to buy it). And you can make money out of that. Or take it to pet shelter. Please ASAP as he is not living a happy life with you guys.and he might develop issues like feather plucking. I own a lovebird and despite his size and his lifespan he can be exhausting but i love him and very passionate about him and that is when its right to own a bird. See the picture him enjoying his life with me :)

See if you have a Bird Club in your area, call some Veterinarians and ask, that's a shame because they can make a good pet in the right hands. Perhaps a pet store, not sure, Good Luck!

Most Bird Stores will take the Bird on consignment and try to sell it for you.

so your son wants something easy to care for so you pick a cockatoo, a parrot who can live for 80 years? stop impulse buying, take your bird to an avian vet and ask how you can tame it and take care of it and they need fresh fruits and vegetables, a huge cage, and lots of sunlight or it will die, you cant just throw it away like garbage. take some responsibility.

Try www.craigslist.org

That's how we got our parrot! One of my bosses buys her kids everything and after they got tired of the bird because she was chronically sick, she gave her to me. We still have her and even though she's a handful, she's smart and hilarious.

Our avian vet's office has a wall of adoptable birds in the same situation. Cockatoos need constant attention and the longer you go without handling it the harder it will be to do so.

Please don't sell it online. Find a rescue.

Kentucky Fried Chicken will gladly accept your bird. 

Omg ... There are a lot of bird people that would adopt your baby. How old is the cockatoo? What area do you live in? 

Also... ignore the nasty responses.  I commend you for reaching out. 

please give it away. u could even try and give it to a pet store for nothing. This poor bird sounds like it has been through hell with your family. Somebody else will treasure it more.

And since everyone here reads minds, we know exactly where you live and what options are available there