Driving from Illinois to Wisconsin?

Desert girl driving from Olympia Fields, IL to Monroe, Wisconsin for interviews 2 days in a row on December 16th.  I've never driven in snow before. Is the highway usually clear around that time?  Please let me know if there are any common issues driving between these 2 states around mid December.  Any tips welcome. Thank you <3 

I'll be taking the I- 294 north to US-20 W

I don't know that specific route, so I can't help you with that.  However, here are some safe driving tips for you.  Give yourself plenty of time to get where you're going. (Maybe get a motel in Monroe.)  If your car's rear end starts sliding, back off of the gas and steer into the skid to  get straight.  Turn on your headlights even in daytime, especially if there are any flurries.  If you have a cell phone, be sure that it's charged and in your pocket just in case.  Don't try to set any speed records, and you should be all right.

Source(s): Winter driving experience.

Snow (unless you're far off the beaten track) is not as great a threat as you seem to think. Wisconsin has plenty of plows; just drive slowly and leave plenty of room behind the car in front of you.

Freezing rain is immensely more dangerous; don't drive in it unless you must.

Please let me know if there are any common issues driving between these 2 states around mid December.

Weather could be clear & sunny, and the roads clear.  Or there could be a friggin blizzard with heavy snow & 30 mph winds.  That time of the year, you just don't know.  

1.  get yourself an all wheel drive vehicle

2.  check the weather & forecast for the day.

3.  take your heavy coat, mittens & stocking cap.

Good luck.

it's like an hour away depending on where you at in illinois

Advice - get snow tires, allow for a lot of extra time, don't drive if you don't feel up to the challenge. Also, consider when you are going to be driving and try to avoid major metro areas durning rush hour. 

As others have noted, freeways are a top priority when there is snow, but during a snow storm or blizzard, the conditions can be icy and visibility very poor.  

The best you can do is to pay attention to weather forecasts.  It could be clear and dry on the days you drive or you could be hit with a epic blizzard or freezing rain.  

• drip

I live near Chicago. You never know when snow will hit. Highways are a priority for snowplows and salting but sometimes when snow hits hard and long it is better to stay off them.

Snow is alway big news as are the road conditions. Stay tune to the reports. 

Keep your gas tank above half full. Get your tires check. All weather tires are best. Don’t slam on your breaks, pump them. 

You may want to think about a hotel for the night if weather is iffy.

A travel kit as suggested is a good idea. I always have an extra coat, gloves, hat and boots in the car.  

• Speed

Interstate highways are virtually always kept clear, so the only way you'd have an issue with snow or ice is if there is an ongoing storm. Watch the weather ahead of your trip and if you can, leave early to drive ahead of any predicted snowfall.

In my experience, US highways are usually kept clear in Wisconsin, because the same government department clears both. In Illinois, the county clears US highways, the state the interstate highways.

If you've never driven in snowy or icy conditions, Triple-A has suggestions: https://exchange.aaa.com/safety/driving-advice/win...

I carry a winter travel bag in my trunk when I'm leaving the area around home. I've got a spare coat, snow boots, a hat and mittens, a blanket, a flashlight and extra batteries, some food, a heat source (just a fat candle sitting in a tin can on a bed of sand), and a book. Oh, and a print map of the area. If the weather makes me pull over and stop, I'll be okay, and if the highway is closed, I can aim myself toward the nearest town. So far I've never needed to use the travel kit, but I top it off every fall.

Good luck on your interviews!