Do you think humans can possibly survive the end of our galaxy?

I saw on the news how our galaxy will sort of form a black hole in about 5 billion years and "suck everything up" and that'll be the end.

Just looking at how far technology has come in the last 100 years is saying something though and I think for man kind to survive that will be the biggest hope.

I mean we made it to the moon which clearly isn't anywhere near as close and it's probably lightyears away but I feel the way technology is going who knows what they will be able to do in billions of years from now. 

This is just a big IF, I know we probably won't even be around on 5000 years but if we did survive by then. I wonder how far humans can travel 

Oh the possibilities of the future! There is just no way to know! 

I revel in the ideas that our future could be!

Humans never can survive the end of our galaxy, because human is just a creation. Only the creator knows how wide the galaxy is!

Nope, we will probably make ourselves extinct within a couple of thousand years

Well, I think some fool has no concept of time. We 'smart' humans will bring on our own extinction long before another million years,,I think sooner.

Andromeda meeting with Milky Way, will happen about the same time our sun becomes a red giant and melting planets out to Mars. If the 2 galaxies merge which is likely, they will be another supermassive galaxy. as rebirth of stars in no way makes up for the dying stars that means this new galaxy will in time collapse. like many others. The barrycenter of of both galaxies have supermassive black holes, ours, 2.6 million of our solar masses. these have no choice but to become a binary,perhaps forming into one. After all the stars die, this huge galaxy will collapse into one enormous singularity in the void of space. For as long as man will even exist, we won't be getting beyond our own solar system, even with the effort of all humans, we lack the resources to do anything about that. That will simply mean:::

PFFFT,,,and that is all folks.

• Paula

Yes.

We can survive the end of the galaxy.

Please note that the galaxy won't "end" for a trillion years or so.

The end will come after no new stars are formed to replace ones that run out of fuel.

But we might not survive the next hundred years ---

There is war, disease, asteroid collision to name a few of the threats.

There are those who put our untimely demise at around 10 years due to the carbon in our atmosphere, I have read that the oceans provide 2 thirds of the worlds oxygen and the trees and plantlife supply the rest, with the degradation of the coral reef and the destruction of our rain forests and pollution caused the meat industry and manufacturing processes and global warming etc and those who predict a population that far exceeds our resources, it does not look rosy for us humans for the next 100 years let alone 5 billion, I think we may be the only species that destroys its own habitat, the irony is that we think we are smart...

Well, there's two points to make here. The first point is that no, the galaxy won't form into a black hole in 5 billion years. What may actually happen by that point is that our galaxy will collide with the Andromeda galaxy and form a bigger galaxy. It'll be far from ending, as a matter of fact the galaxy will have a new lease on life.

The second point, will "humans" survive? In 5 billion years, we may not be human anymore, we'll have evolved into something else. But if you're talking about whoever our successors are, then I'd say that's most likely a yes. Humans evolved during a period of intense natural climate change on Earth, and now they are going to survive during a period of intense man-made climate change. Humans are extremely adaptable, that's the secret to our survival. We can eat almost anything, we're not just dependent on either meat or vegetables, but both. In fact, we're now beyond food, we can create technology that can feed us with simple organic molecules, if we ever needed to survive without any other life on Earth.

If we don't distroy ourselves with war, we will be able to do virtually anything in a billion years. But humans might evolve into something else thru genetic engineering or artificial intelligence.

No. Our extinction is probably imminent.

• Mark

In 5 billion years, humans either won't be here or adapted into something else.  And there is already a supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy.  Also black holes behave more or less like regular stars they don't "suck things up" (meaning:  they only pull things into the the were going to collide with them, not pick out object that aren't falling into them).