Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 10 months ago

Is a 19 year old suitable to babysit a young baby?

I have a five month old baby girl and I want to hire a babysitter. There is this 19 year old who wants this job. She is a college student studying education. Her job is for kids 6-12 years old but I have a baby. She says she loves kids and babies and I can tell she is very responsible and nice. However, there is one thing that's holding me back from hiring her and that's the fact that she doesn't have any experience with babies. She told me that she has spent a lot of time around babies playing with them etc but she never changed a diaper or fed a baby.

So, what do I do? Would you hire her?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • sarah
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

As the mom of a seven-month-old, I would probably give her a shot. If you're concerned, maybe have her come spend an afternoon with you and baby and see how you think she does.

If she's responsible and experienced with kids, I don't think she'll have a hard time figuring it out. I was sixteen and babysat for a one-year-old (so not really a baby, but still in diapers, lol). I had never changed a diaper in my life or spent any time unsupervised around any kid younger than, like, four, but I made it through with no issues. :)

• 10 months ago

If you want to give her a chance, then do it. You can always invite her over to show her how to do a diaper change and feed your baby.

• 10 months ago

Teach her how to feed and diaper and then make sure you have Nanny cameras in all your rooms!!!!! 

• GB
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

I have known 19 year old moms who were more mature than some in their mid 20s.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

I'll take troll for $1000 Alex.

• 10 months ago

Most people don't have experience diapering or feeding a baby until they have one. It's easy to teach. She sounds fine. I'd hire her.

• jlb
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

You do realize that it's totally normal to hire teens to babysit, right? This person is an adult with some actual college education.  As long as she has a couple references that check out, you get a good feeling from watching her interact with your child and you spend a little time teaching bottle feeding and diaper changing, she sounds like a great fit.

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Lots of first time mothers have never done that either. How extensive was your experience before that baby got here?

• edward
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Nope. I wouldn’t hire her based on that.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

I wouldn't hire a teenager to babysit my 5 month old.

19....NineTEEN is a TEEN.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.