Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 8 months ago

Is it okay for an in-home daycare provider to have their older children watch the daycare kids while the provider runs errands?

Update:

Thank you to all that answered, I was asking this because my mom who owns an in-home daycare used to ask me all the time as a teenager to watch the kids while she left for a bit, I thought it was strange

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Time to fire that daycare provider. That is absolutely NOT okay!  You've hired an in-home daycare provider to watch your kids. You haven't hired her so that her own kids to watch your kid while the daycare provider runs errands. . 

• GB
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

The  day-care provider should not be running errands during working time, unless they can take the children with them.

• Pat
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

NO.

The kids have not been legally cleared for child care and the adult is legally and financially responsible if something happens to them.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Only if the older children are over 18 and employees of the business, and have the appropriate credentials (ie, have taken infant CPR, completed formal background checks). Otherwise, no. And if they're minors, ABSOLUTELY NOT and that daycare should be reported and their license revoked.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Absolutely not. The parents have hired you so their children could have adult supervision and the adult can handle any emergencies with adult knowledge and experience.. It's doubly bad to have the older children, whom you are being paid to teach and supervise, do your work for you.

Many daycare providers take the children they sit for with them when they do errands. BUT, you need permission from their parents before doing that. Otherwise, you are going to have to do errands when the children are not around.

• 8 months ago

Not unless the older children have been fingerprinted, had a background check performed, meet the criteria for training and certification, and are officially on the payroll. 

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

That would be no...

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Laws vary, so you'd need to find out what laws apply in your area.  But if the older kids are over 18, certified in CPR and First Aid and meet the same qualifications as an employee then it's probably okay in most cases.

• 8 months ago

It depends on the situation.

We hired one of the older children of our in home daycare provider to watch our daughter at times at our home, so we would have have no problem at all with her watching our daughter at their own house from time to time.

• God
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Only if the daycare parents are aware of this arrangement and agree to it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.